Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

herb combinations (daisy, lungwort, thyme, ladies' mantle) ill effects

October 18 2010 at 1:42 PM

from IP address 87.113.148.91

A friend of mine recently took a combination of the above herbs for a cough and sore throat. She found that a short while after taking the infusion she experienced intestinal discomfort, a slight griping, and I said I would look into it. She does suffer intermittently with IBS. I wondered whether it was the combined astringency of the herbs that could be having this effect, or one herb in particular. (I do know there are cautions on the use of lungwort,due to the alkaloids, but she was only taking the herbs for a short period of time.) Any suggestions most welcome.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: herb combinations (daisy, lungwort, thyme, ladies' mantle) ill effects

October 18 2010, 6:00 PM 

Hi Steph

I am hoping a qualified herbalist will comment on this.

Speaking personally, I'm really surprised she chose this combination and would love to know why she decided to use these particular herbs and how she thought they would be helpful together for a cough and a sore throat. Was she using ordinary daisy or ox-eye daisy or moon daisy?

If she has a cough and sore throat again, maybe she might like to try sage and thyme together. Other herbs would depend on the kind of cough (wet, dry, deep, spasmodic, cold, hot etc)she was experiencing.

Sarah

Claire

Re: herb combinations (daisy, lungwort, thyme, ladies' mantle) ill effects

October 18 2010, 8:05 PM 

My thoughts would be that the saponins in the Daisy (Bellis perennis - common daisy - if this is what it was) have irritated an already sensitive stomach.

re alkaloids in Lungwort: if you mean pyrrolizidine alkaloids, I don't think there are any...
(but I'll start another chat on that)

(edited to change Guest to Claire)

This message has been edited by SarahHead from IP address 94.169.50.235 on Oct 18, 2010 10:07 PM

LUNGWORT

October 20 2010, 4:26 PM 

Hello

I have seen several cases of lungwort infusions irritating and causing stomach upsets.

I use daisy in alot of preparations and have never noted a reaction before.

The mix isn't one I have used before either -why the ladies mantle?
K

Current Topic - herb combinations (daisy, lungwort, thyme, ladies' mantle) ill effects  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.