Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Nettle Tea, and High Blood Pressure.

January 31 2011 at 10:24 AM

from IP address 195.171.111.194

Dear All,

Internet sources on the whole seem to suggest that nettle tea is good for treating low blood pressure. However, it contains quite a bit of iron which the mainstream authorites suggest is not good for arteries.

I am wondering too what herbal mixes are perhaps the best to dealing with HPB?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Re: Nettle Tea, and High Blood Pressure.

January 31 2011, 10:31 PM 

Hi Robert

It's really difficult to give general advice on a discussion forum for a specific condition. The reasons behind both low and high blood pressure can be many and varied depending on the person, their lifestyle, other contributing conditions and constitution. My primary advice would be to find a qualified/experienced herbalist who lives close to you and who you feel you can trust to work with you on diet, exercise and herbal support.

You also need to find a way of monitoring what your blood pressure is and whether it is considered to be high for your age group, what raises it, what lowers it etc.

Having said all that, you may want to make friends with your local hawthorn and lime trees and the mistletoe which grows in the topmost branches of the oak or apple trees, but only under the care of someone who really knows what they are doing.

Best wishes

Sarah

Nettle Tea and High Blood Pressure

February 7 2011, 3:29 AM 

Must agree with Sarah high/low blood pressure are not conditions for self-medication as hypertension and hypotension are often symptons of an underlying disease that needs to be correctly diagnosed.

For in depth information on the use of nettles Christina Stapley's excellent monograph on nettles,that can be found at
www.heartsease-herbalist.co.uk/nettles.pdf
is well worth reading.
An excellent little book on the use of hawthorn,which is an all round heart tonic,si "Building a Healthy Heart" by Eric.F.W.Powell MNIMH,copies of which can often be found on Amazon and similar websites.
Kevin

Re: Nettle Tea, and High Blood Pressure.

February 9 2011, 9:37 AM 

Sorry for my slow response to your interesting comments. I wish to thank you for taking the time to reply.

Anyway, I have tried hawthorn in the past but I do not think it is suitable for me. It is amazing how powerful a small capsule per day is! I have heard that its side effects are like those of mainstream drugs. I would tend to agree.

I have found fennel seems to be beneficial. Moreover, I used to use grapefruit pectin which is powerful sans the potential "side effects" of hawthorn.

I think I may well have to consult a herbalist, and start monitoring blood pressure fairly soon.

RS.

nettles

February 11 2011, 6:35 PM 

Hello to you,

I a have never considered nettles to be bad for the arteries -There is plenty of iron as well as many other minerals in our dark leaved friends -

I don't believe that a cup or 2 of nettle tea would do any harm to your arteries - I have gone and read the research on -ferritin light chain expression is increased in the coronary arteries -and my personal take on it is that folks who eat alot of red meat are more likely to have these markers.

Nettle don't suit everybody though -I have found them heating and have seen allergic prickly heat type reactions in some people. I like to mix them with more sooftening herbs like calendula and chamomile to take to edge off..

lol
K x

Current Topic - Nettle Tea, and High Blood Pressure.  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.