Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

Elizabeth Goudge and herbs

February 27 2011 at 5:00 PM
Sally Startup 
from IP address 81.135.60.132

In an article about herbs in my own writing (Creating Fictional Plants, in the latest issue of Herbs) I stated that the novelist Elizabeth Goudge learned about herbal medicine from a friend. I am certain that I read this fact in a magazine interview with Elizabeth Goudge, but when I came to provide references for the article, I could not locate the source. I even contacted Anne Salter, director of the Weltner Library at Oglethorpe University (USA), which houses an Elizabeth Goudge collection. Anne was extremely helpful, but although she has heard rumours of such an interview, she has not seen it either. Can anyone help me to locate it? The magazine I read might well have been a herbal one of some kind.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sarah Head

Re: Elizabeth Goudge and herbs

February 27 2011, 5:34 PM 

I do hope someone is able to help you, Sally.

Elizabeth Goudge has had a significant impact my my family's life. It was because of her novel, Green Dolphin Country, that my mother took us all to New Zealand for a year in 1968 under the League for the Exchange of Commonwealth Teachers. I devoured most of her books as a child and still have them. It was because of the numerous references to herbs that I first became interested in them. I still have to remember Miss Heliotrope in The Little White Horse when I forget the name of the plant!

Sarah

Deborah Gaudin

re Herbs

March 4 2011, 1:47 PM 

Elizabeth learnt about herbs from her gardener and companion Jesse Munroe.

Visit The Elizabeth Goudge website to find out more

regards Deborah

Sally Startup

Re Elizabeth Goodge and Herbs

March 12 2011, 11:42 AM 

Thanks Deborah,
The Elizabeth Goodge website is lovely, and I did use it in in my research. But I wasn't able to find the exact reference I was looking for, which was an interview I remember reading, in which Elizabeth stated specifically that the herbal knowledge in The White Witch was provided by 'a herbalist friend' (presumably Jesse).

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
Find more forums on Alternative TherapyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.