Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

sambucus nigra 'black lace'

May 5 2011 at 8:38 PM
yolanda 
from IP address 91.104.204.189

I bought last month a sambucus nigra ' black lace' thinking that it was the common elder, the plant is beautiful but I want to know if it has the same medicinal properties like the flowers are used to treat colds and coughs or the leaves used against caterpillars and aphids.please can any one help!!!!!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Sarah Head

Re: sambucus nigra 'black lace'

May 7 2011, 5:06 PM 

Hi Yolanda

From a quick google search, it looks like you have a cultivar rather than the real thing. It's a bit like having the yellow yarrow in your garden instead of white/pink wild yarrow. In yarrow's case, the cultivar is nowhere near as strong as the wild yarrow, but I truly do not have have idea about Black Lace. I suspect it's properties won't be as strong as the wild varieties.

The elder should be coming into blossom shortly, so you can always go wildcrafting.

Best wishes

Sarah

Anthony Lyman-Dixon

May 8 2011, 9:38 AM 

Bugs love it!

yolanda

May 9 2011, 2:46 PM 

good bugs or bad bugs!!!

Anthony Lyman-Dixon

May 12 2011, 9:24 AM 

Utterly horrible bugs. They quickly reduced a tray of small plants to skeletons, but ignored the ordinary wild form

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.