Welcome to the Herb Society Forum

The Herb Society Forum (UK)

“There's more to herbs than just green leaves.”

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  

What's growing in your garden?

February 21 2012 at 3:10 PM
Sarah Head 
from IP address 94.169.52.67

With our current wierd and wonderful weather, it's hard to know what season we are in. I was out in the garden this morning digging over my bean border and found a tiny St John's wort seedling. It always makes me happy when I can pot up a seedling to start off someone else's herb patch.

I also cut down the old stems of bronze fennel, marshmallow, marjoram, vervain and St Johns Wort and it was good to see new growth happily shooting up from the ground. The sage, thyme, rosemary and parsley look a bit ragged, but the sorrel has thrown out fresh leaves which were very tasty and I saw the first chive shoots. Spinach has been growing all winter, but has been too tough for salads, so I'm waiting for new growth before I start picking again.

In my Cotswold sanctuary we've been cutting down ash and field maple trees to let light into the pond area. Hopefully this means my meadowsweet will be much happier and if I'm very lucky maybe the sweet flag will flower this year. My heart sinks every time I look at the herb beds as there is so much to do, but they will have to wait until my next visit next month. The rosemary,white horehound and sage look very well as does the myrtle and wintergreen. The Joe Pye weed wants cutting down, along with the catmint, bergamot, motherwort, goats rue and New England Aster. I haven't dared search for the wormwoods as rabbits have dug enormous entrances to their warren in the bank they've decimated one of the top beds.

I'm planning a new scullcap bed this year and trying to think of what else I'd like to grow.

What's happening in your garden and what herbs are you planning to entertain this year?

Sarah

Respond to this message   

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

This is the forum of the Herb Society (UK), the place to discuss all aspects of herbs including their uses, cultivation, history, legislation and much more. Run by and for the Herb Society (UK) and open to anyone to read, but posts will only appear once approved by a moderator.

Please note that the Forum Host and Moderators reserve the right to delete any entry which is considered to be inappropriate for this forum, its members and the Herb Society as a whole. IP's of spammers will be blocked.

The Herb Society is not qualified to provide medicinal advice. Useful contacts for such advice can be found on our contacts page. Officers and Council Members of the Herb Society (UK) accept no liability for any harm, damage, or illness arising from the use of plants mentioned or described on this forum.