Return to Index  

Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne

April 11 2010 at 3:21 AM
Wayne  (Login The.other.Wayne)
from IP address 69.86.4.200

Hello all,

Im starting a build log for my next project the Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne which was in service with the Royal Australian Navy from 1955 until 1982. I am mainly an armour modeler and as such will need a bunch of help and I hope to get that here.
[linked image]

To build the project I will use:
Heller 1/400 Colossus/ Arromanches
WEM 1/400 Colossus PE
Gold Medal Models 1/400 Naval Ship
LArsenal 1/400 Bofors Twin
LArsenal 1/400 Bofors Single
LArsenal 1/400 S-2 Tracker
LArsenal 1/400 Sikorsky / Sud Aviation HSS-1 (Wessex)
ARIA 1/400 U.S. Navy Aircraft (Sea King)

For the Skyhawks I have 2 lines:
Corsair Armadas 1/350 A-4 Skyhawk: at 350 they should only be ~12% too large. Is that I deal breaker? I have no idea, yet. If they end up looking too big I have a line on an old Revell 1/400 scale USS Enterprise which has about 12 x 1/400 Skyhawk shaped blobs of plastic.

Reference material:
Topmill Publishing, Aircraft Carriers and Squadrons of the Australian Navy
Australian Naval Drawings: HMAS Melbourne (II) - Aircraft Carrier post 1971 - profile, upper decks & sections
HMAS Melbourne Deck Detailhttp://www.filefront.com/13817114/HMASmelbourneDeckDetail.pdf/
Phil Thompsons epic 2000 page long ~2 GB .pdf file dedicated to the Skyhawk in Aust service posted here about a year ago. Thanks buddyhttp://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/discussiongroup/forum.html
And about every photo and YouTube video I could find with Google

Only half of the stuff has arrived so far but here it is:
[linked image]

Apparently the Majestic class is basically a strengthened version of the Colossus class with almost identical hull shape. Major medications for the Melbourne include: angled flight deck; new island; new radars; new mirror landing system; catapult, enlarged elevators; extensions at the rear of the sponson upon which the island is located; extension of the stern flight deck round down, flight deck extensions on either side near the arrestor wires and a host of other minor tweaks. Despite the length of the above list there really arent any super hard steps above as the basic shapes to be scratch built are simple and the colossus hull is the right basic shape!

Inspiration for the build came from Wikipedia which had the HMAS Melbourne as its homepage a few months ago, the announcements of further delay to the OzMods 1/350 Majestic project http://www.aussiemodeller.com/pages/discussiongroup/forum.html and Ryan Hamiltons list of all RAN ships posted on this site.

So here goes. A few photos of the basic hull being cleaned up. I needed to sand off all the raised detail as most of it is in the wrong spot and will interfere with my re arranged bofors sponsons. I was sad to see the panel lines go but oh well.

I have closed up holes not needed and opened up new holes. The hull needs a bit of filler and sanding to get clean lines
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

In these shots you can see some basic shapes I am adding to visible bits of the interior. I might even pose the front elevator in the down position!
[linked image]
[linked image]

Thats it for today. Can anyone suggest what colours I should paint the interior deck and bulkheads?

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement