Return to Index  

Info from another 'hand build' MELBOURNE modeller

April 11 2010 at 1:30 PM

(Login SpazSinbad)
from IP address 124.176.82.147

Response to Majestic Class light aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne

All text quoted by a former AFDO building a scratch wood model with working parts at 96:1 scale (I think):

"...tell him to make sure he picks the year that he is modelling.
The external look of the ship changed over the years (e.g when the LWO2 Radar came down from the mast to the Island) and the flight deck markings also changed.

http://users.qld.chariot.net.au/~dialabull/R21%20History2.htm
(info here will help describe some changes)

By "interior", I am assuming he means "within the ship", something you normally would not see from the outside.
If he means "interior" in the sense of the "weather decks" (ie not the outer hull) that's different.

Weather decks - the deck itself was the same grey as the hull, but had black anti-slip sections (akin to large stepping-stones) along the walkway area.
Deckheads (ceiling) was an off-white (pipes were grey and had different colour bands depending on their job - eg red for firemain)
Large vents (squareish ones) were also grey.
Railing tops where "ceremony" was conducted (ladderbays, ladders, quarterdeck, etc) were wood (lighter colour wood, not -say- jarrah)

Internal - Bulkheads, deckheads were a sort of creamy-off-whiteish colour (as best I can describe it) as were pipes and vents. Pipes also had their colour bands.
The decking was a lino material, and vaguely from memory was a light green colour (I think)

...that's as best as I remember it. I wish I had some more internal photos, but I don't. Even the colour ones that exist don't show the exact colours."

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement