Return to Index  

Resin window problem

November 18 2010 at 2:16 PM
David Clark  (Login bremnerclark)
from IP address 121.210.28.154

I'm doing a Monogram 1/48 DC-3 and decided that I'd try the Wally Patented Resin Window method on it. I used some thin shim brass bent to shape to seal the openings, then mixed and poured the resin (Barnes Clear Casting Resin). Everything went according to plan until I pulled the tape and brass off the fuselage, when I found this:

[linked image]

The striated areas have gone quite soft and sticky, and still remain so 48 hours after the resin was poured. It's happened on both fuselage halves. The windows themselves have come out perfectly, and the resin is now fully cured and ready to be sanded down and polished. A Heller C-121 on which I did the windows at the same time has not shown this problem at all.

The resin catalyst is MEK but the proportion is only 1.5% by weight, which is hardly going to affect the plastic. I used scales accurate to 0.001g, so the mixing proportions should be pretty close to spot-on. Besides, the softening has only occurred in certain places, all in areas behind where I put tape onto the fuselage before taping down the shim brass but not everywhere the tape went down.

Anyone got any ideas about what's going on, or how it can be fixed? All suggestions thankfully received ...

A man can't have too many flying boats ...

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement