Return to Index  

Australian army using Bren and Owen guns and F1 machineguns still in1989.

October 17 2012 at 1:19 AM
ken  (Login campaken)
from IP address 124.187.107.97

Response to Vickers still in use in 1987/88

It looks like we covered a lot of the same ground.
I too was carrying a Bren gun in 1985 when I was with 1 RAR but we shot and used them a lot later than 1985 at Mount Vince the huge well built rifle range in Mackay; far north Queensland when they held the annual Combined Services discipline and Queenss medal shoots and pulling consist groups at 300yds, 500yds, 800yds and often shot on the 1000 yard mound with the Bren gun with it' bi-pod and SLR and sling in 1985 1988. I was a target puller while the civilians shot the Queens Medal. I also used Brens guns and Owen Guns at the Land Command Battle School in Tully in late 1988 into early 1989 when I was enemy commander

I was also on Exercise Reindeer to Hong Kong in 1985
Prior to working border protection in Hong Kong in 1985 as part of exercise reindeer and prior to embarking we had extra training in un-armed combat training in Townville in the hot Townsville summer of late 1994 with the Army PTis (Physical training Instructors, use of close quarter weapons that included the Australian F1 machinegun, the Australia Bren gun, the browning 9mm Highpower the standard Australian weapons and Australian CS teargas training where we had to be in a room full of tear gas without a gasmask and complete tasks given before we could leave the room.

When we got to fort Stanly we had to learn to use the British sterling submachine gun which with the silencer on, was not silent but could be muffled by road noise at 30m and deadly still at 50m. We also got to fire the 84 mm Carl Gustav recoilless rifle sub-calibered down into .22 and the new British bull pup SA80 rifle which the British were just fazing in and were all exited about. the range we fired these highpower weapons in was a indoor range that looked like a squash court. which really required hearing protection this was freaky to us. In Australia we found a range that sloped down a hill for a kilometer or so and the British officer explained really we just dont have the room in Hong Kong to test fire these things, as there is just no space in Hong Kong.

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on ModelingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement