<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rhodesian Hunters

June 14 2009 at 2:23 PM

wally  (Login cac_sabre)
from IP address 114.75.19.217

As the Dak takes shape I start on a Hunter...

Now I am an aeroplane man and I am minimalist with ordenance fitout if it is going to "spoil" the look of the subject. Consequently I have loads of spare rocketry and things that go bang snd I would qualify as a 1/48 Kosheigi (arms dealer - incidently I have a picture of his DC9 if anyone wants it)

Now Rhodesian reference pictures are quite thin on the ground (and in the air for that matter) because of all that embargo stuff and associated secrecy. I have one picture however, of a Hunter loaded up with sidewinders, I am guessing these were sourced from South Africa.. anyone have any clue what pylon / rail they used? The South Africans had both Sabres and Mirages, I am wondering if they might have adapted versions of these..

The Hunter looks good with the Sidewinders and I may break into my armoury..

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jamie McIntyre
(Login DDGboy)

Here's some pics

June 14 2009, 2:39 PM 

Note first one has Rhodesian camo but SAAF roundels -

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

Unbelievable! You Bloody Beauty..

June 14 2009, 2:48 PM 

The awesome power of the internet, and common interest groups, Sidewinder Hunter coming up..

Respond to this message   
Andrew Doppel (A2)
(no login)

Look like the rails and pylons from the Italeri Mirage IIIE kit

June 14 2009, 3:33 PM 

if you have any Wal?

They'd be easy to source including the AIMs.

Regards

Andrew

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

yes thanks, got it all except the 1/48 scale liquid nitrogen nt

June 14 2009, 3:54 PM 

Respond to this message   
the other Ray
(no login)

Hay Wally.....

June 14 2009, 4:16 PM 

Why not make the Rhodesian/South Afriacan Airforce Hybrid Hunter, now there is something youy don't see every day!!!!. BTW, if you can manage to pick up a book titled "War in th Air: Rhodesian Air Force 1935-1980" by Cowderoy and Nesbit, it briefly refers to the Hunter being equipped with the South African version of the Sidewinder. Apart from that, the book is just a dam good read. I regularly fly with a 737 Captain who is an ex-Rhodesian Air Force Hunter pilot and, boy, does he tell a good yarn!!!. He owns his on Hunter based in NSW. Next time I see him I will ask if he has any photos of the Rhodesian Hunters with the Sidewinders fitted.
the other Ray

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

G'day, I have communicated with Steve when I found his "Hunty" site

June 14 2009, 4:28 PM 

.. squeeze him some more for me!

Acually the Rhodesian Hunters in late service look like absolute unmitigated crap... no numbers, no badges no national markings and the most faded paint you have ever seen. I have one picture of a Hunter with a large playboy bunny painted on the rear fuselage but it is a very sectional shot and very is very little Hunter showing for me to be able to model that one without considerable artistic licence (not that I havent used that before!)

The nicest RRAF hunters had the Assegia roundels, I'll save that version for a 1/32 example. I cant stomach the "incognito" scheme so I will do the what I call the "dog and Bone" roundel (actually a lion and a tusk) version. These just had a roundel on the forward fuselage and thats all..

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

They call it a castle, I reckon it looks like a tortoise

July 1 2009, 12:33 AM 

Close examination of the sidewinder hunter shows (to my eye anyway) that the SAAF castle on the rear fuselage is bereft of the leaping impala. So I scanned in some SAAF decals and rubbed the wildlife off..
I figure the markings are on the fuselage only and then only a token effort to make it look like the jet could be SAAF, I put the borderline around the castle to assist in cutting the thing out from white decal paper (needs a white border)

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Damian C
(no login)

It's actually a 16th-early 17th style fortress

July 1 2009, 4:40 PM 

as associated with Vauban - low with earthworks in front to provide protection against gunfire; the heads and feet are bastions intended to provide crossfire/supporting fire against attackers approaching the walls/other bastions respectively.

One of the most interesting hunter schemes, I reckon, are the Singaporean jets which were painted in something intended to be the USAF SEAC scheme, but using British colours.

Respond to this message   
Damian C
(no login)

gah, I mean 16th-early 18th century fortress nt

July 1 2009, 5:13 PM 

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

Thanks for that insight about the castle..

July 1 2009, 11:21 PM 

I googled it up and found that the emblem is based on the "Castle of Good Hope" in Cape Town..thanks again its good to learn something new every day!

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

If I had a bloody assegia, I'd slash my wrists!

July 9 2009, 7:54 PM 

Another Kvartel, putting the u/c actuators on the Hunters mains, first one piece of cake second one over an hour of messing around, the piece springing out of the tweezers and flying for miles at least 5 times.

Got the lamp down close so I can see what I am doing in the close confines, optivisor down to magnify the doings, put actuator in position, wing bangs against the lamp, two drop tanks and sidewinder assembly break off and as the first cuss word rings out the goddam nosewheel leg bumps against my visor and knocks the bugger off... (the nose door that is)the neighbours got an earful.. I wonder what they thought happened!

Now I know Rhodesian Hunters were worn and knocked around but this taking it too far!
at the end of my tether I'm pulling the wine out, I am so pissed off with my fading eyesight!

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

Ok this one started as Rhodesian biltong but ended up as a Boerwors

July 12 2009, 8:14 PM 

Almost finished.. almost nailed it, pretty aeroplane

Pilot Lieutenant "Jungle" Jim James
Crew Chief Flt Sgt "Tamba" Kaseem

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Phillip Evans
(Login vulcanxm603)

Rhodesian Hunters

December 9 2013, 4:26 AM 

I know this is an old thread, but I have quite a collection of photos of the Rhodesian Hunters as well as the other aircraft that they used.

These include the anti strela adaptions on the Daks, Alouette III's and Reims-Cessna 337's (Lynx) to name a few.

Am willing to forward photos of all I have to anyone who asks for them. Please contact me on avrov@sky.com.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on ModelingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement