<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  

A real Cinderella

February 5 2010 at 11:31 AM
Fred Harris  (Login frediv)
from IP address 114.76.80.72

Given the heavily aircraft oriented nature of this site, this model is a real Cinderella. The model is 1/24th scale (27" long) tug boat M.V. GOUDIE once operated by the Ports and Harbours Division of the Victorian Government and used for working 'explosive' lighters off Pt Wilson Explosive Reserve near Altona and maintaining navigation beacons in Port Phillip Bay. I built it for my father when he retired and had been its Skipper for some 27 years.
Goudie was refurbished in the 1980s and care was taken to retain its salient features, unlike its sister ships during their overhaul. It is now privately owned and used as a fishery support vessel in Tasmania. The original wheelhouse is located in the Pollywoodside Maritime Museum as a children's play area.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

A close-up of the bow fender, a skill now almost a lost art. The mooring/towing hawsers have authentic spliced eyes. None of my work!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
David Edwards
(Login David_A_Edwards)

Not what I was expecting!

February 5 2010, 12:44 PM 

Thought it'd be silver, 1/32 scale with four engines.

Here's some trivia. I remember the explosives reserve at Altona quite well as my Dad was the Postmaster at Altona. That one was confusingly called the Truganina Reserve (I think because it was part of the actual facility that was out at Trug). Point Wilson is another reserve and is actually near Avalon. Some of its bunkers featured in the original Mad max movie.

Respond to this message   

wally
(Login cac_sabre)

That is as pretty as a picture...

February 5 2010, 5:13 PM 

About 2 years ago i convinced myself I needed a wooden "Bluenose" kit. I did all my research, found that the Model Slipways kit was the way to go and eventually got one through ebay. It sits at the bottom of the stash. I darent take the sticks out of the box cos I'll never get them in again! I keep telling myself its a post retirement gig, but the skill and craftsmanship required to emulate real life ship building planking is quite daunting.. I'll probably end up selling it.

Respond to this message   
Paul H
(Login gmhman)

Not really into boats but that looks amazing. A credit to ya mate :) n/t

February 5 2010, 8:19 PM 

Respond to this message   
Glen Burns
(Login CreativeModelsAustralia)

Re: Not really into boats but that looks amazing. A credit to ya mate :) n/t

February 5 2010, 9:15 PM 

Hey Fred,

Looks real nice,. Can really appreciate a good boat/ship.

Glen

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au

Respond to this message   
Fred
(Login frediv)

Re: A real Cinderella

February 5 2010, 10:05 PM 

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Actually, it has a twin, radio controlled with a fibre glass hull but it hasn't sailed for a long time.

Respond to this message   
ken lewis
(Login kenlewis)

Goudie

August 24 2012, 8:21 AM 

Gday great work id like so much to ask you more about this boat and your dads work is that possible via phone or email.
thankyou ken
Ex Williamstown lad

Respond to this message   

Nick Dixon
(Login justplanecrazy)

A stunning model Fred! nt

February 6 2010, 6:02 PM 

nt

nt

Respond to this message   
Andrew
(Login Sandbar1)

ex master of Goudie

January 22 2012, 8:48 PM 

Andrew calling from sunny Nowra.

Great looking model of Goudie. I was one of the masters of her & the Victory at Stony Point Bouy Depot from 1973 to 1984.
I loved the straight eight Gardener diesel. When I started work on her it was chain and rod steering which was a major job to turn the wheel if we had to maneuver. One day while towing a counterweight buoy we overheated to engine. It was then decided to take Goudie to Williamstown for an upgrade. When we picked it up some time later we had hydraulic steering with wheelhouse control for the engine. Up to then we used the telegraph to ring down for direction & speed.

I always wondered what happened to her and the Victory, who had the 6 cylinder Gardener diesel.
regards Andrew

Respond to this message   
ken lewis
(Login kenlewis)

Victory

August 25 2012, 7:55 PM 

Gday the Victory is for sale in Tasmania
its tired up at the local yacht club on the eastern shore
had lots of money spent on it "being sold due to ill health true"
id love to see a photo of Goudie in her day in the ports paint job .

Respond to this message   
Allen Rothery
(Login AllenRothery)

Goudie

January 25 2014, 8:39 AM 

Hi Andrew,

We now own Goudie. She is moored at Dunalley, Tasmania. Our intensions are to keep the exterior the same and we also love the 8 cylinder Gardener engine. We plan to add accommodation and give her a good paint. We'd love to hear from you.

Allen & Fiona Rothery
Rothery.allen@gmail.com

Respond to this message   
Allen Rothery
(Login AllenRothery)

Tugboat Goudie

January 25 2014, 8:31 AM 

Hi Fred,
We were very excited to see your model of Goudie as we are the new proud owners of her. We are planning to keep the exterior unchanged but add sleeping accommodation and head. We would love to hear from you

Regards

Allen and Fiona Rothery
Rothery.allen@gmail.com

Respond to this message   

<< Previous TopicReturn to Index  
Find more forums on ModelingCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement