My Bio

by Liana

I think I need to declare my self the unofficial abuela of this group....since I am the oldest so far to publish an age...
I was born in San Francisco in 1949, a 3rd generation San Franciscan. My Grandfather was born in SF in 1895 to people of English descent (came on one of the big sailing ships to Boston in the late 1700s) . He was an engineer and while working in Jerome Arizona met my grandmother, who was born in Pennsylvania to American born people of German descent -- her mother spoke a bit of German, but died when Grandma was quite little, so to get away from a mean stepmother she moved to Arizona, and was a Suday school teacher there. On my Dad's side, he was born in Oklahoma - his father died when he was 8 so I never knew that Grandfather. He was of Scots descent, from a family that fled Catholic oppression during the War of the Roses. Dad's mother was the descendant of a French Protestants.I attended school in SF and lived there until the late 70s when I married my first husband, the father of my 2 daughters Heather (b 1969) and Kymberly (b. 1978) He passed away in 1984. I remarried Bruce shortly thereafter and we have been married 15 years this coming Christmas.
Both my parents are still alive and healthy. My dad is 77 and he skis (snow) whenever there is enough snow! my mom does volunteer work at the local hospital and plays golf frequently plus is very active in her community home owners association.
Professionally I am a Registered Nurse, I am certifed in Critical Care, and hold degrees in Nursing.

At the present time I am on leave from work, which I initially took to spend time with my daughter who had just had a baby, but she ended up returning to work a lot sooner than planned, and I ended up staying home to be the abuelita to my beautiful nieta, my "Nene" who is named Ariel, which means "lioness of God" in Hebrew. (the other famous Ariel is a sprite in Shakespeare's Tempest and of course they "stole" the name for the little mermaid)

I am trying to improve upon the Spanish that I studied both in highchool and college -- boy its an uphill battle.

In my spare time of which I seem to have very little anymore, I fool around with my copmputer -- I have been hooked on them since the late 1980s when my husband brought home an old PCXT from work. Even though I have never earned a cent from my hobby, I have spent hours of time helping people fix their computers or learn something about Windows and Office softwaree (don't know squat about Macs, unix, linux or Lotus products, but I am a real wizard in the area of Windows, Excel and Word)

I go to Bible Study every Tuesday. I did Bible STudy Fellowship until the baby came but she is too little for the nursery, so I cannot go now. The last study I finished was Life and Letters of Paul. It was my most favorite. I have been a Christian since 1985, I was baptized in 1987. My husband is not saved but my youngest daughter is and one of these days I hope to see my entire family together in the Lord.

I have a cat named Cali (a calico) that was a stray that we adopted after she moved in to our yard and starting sleeping on our back doorstep, and a blue and gold macaw named Malie (pronounced Molly) who is about 15 years old. I rescued her from a man who kept her in a cage in a dark smoke filled apartment. She is not very tame and she loves Bruce tremendously but hates everyone else.

Let's see -- I love quilting, gardening, taking long car drives with the sunroof open and loud music playing, but most of all I love my little nieta Ariel because she is so sweet and innocent and full of love and delight -- right now she is taking a nap so I can write this. She will be 11 months old on the 21st of this month. She has two teeth on the bottom and none on the top and just took her first steps on Sunday.

I am very happy to have met all of you, and you are very precious to me.

Posted on Jun 15, 1999, 12:45 PM

Respond to this message

Go to Forum Home
Responses

Find more forums on Televison EspanolCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement