CLICK BELOW!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  

Ponyo!

October 1 2002 at 9:27 AM
No score for this post
Dick G  (no login)
from IP address 66.133.134.222

PONYO

The Marines, like others, have their own lexicon based on their travels, experiences, etc.

I first heard this particular word when I was a boot at Parris Island in 1952. My drill instructor (D.I.) unexpectedly shouted it across the parade deck--Ponyo!!!

Platoon #437 was then marched to the far side of the field where our D.I.--a corporal w/8 years service in the Corps--enthusiastically renewed his acquaintance with an old friend (ponyo) and China Marine.

Cpl Watts then faced the platoon and proudly introduced his ponyo to us. Although the friend's name is long since forgotten, that occasion is not, for it impressed upon me the bond between Marines who have done duty together.

These many years later, other Marines I have consulted on this have refreshed my memory and verified its meaning regarding the word "ponyo," a Chinese word for friend!

Although it had been many years since I've heard the word, I trust that it has not yet become extinct in the Corps, and/or another meaning or origin ascribed.

Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines
Gunny G's Sites-Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/gunny.html
http://www.network54.com/Forum/135069

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dick G
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Better Make That...Pongyo!

No score for this post
October 11 2002, 8:42 AM 

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

All Rights Reserved
Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums
By
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

eXTReMe Tracker >