SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  

LSTs used for post-war recruiting?

March 7 2003 at 1:00 AM
No score for this post
bob4wd  (no login)
from IP address 209.234.196.250

I seem to remember an event that took place in the mid-to-late 40's, I was just a kid and it was a long time ago, but a pair of (I think) LSTs were tied up in the Conn. river for a week or so, on a recruiting or War Bonds drive or ??, in which one of them was set up internally, the whole length of the ship, with a recreation of a typical Pacific islands battle. There were thick jungle foliage and typical sounds to go with the scene, along with sounds of battle, Japanese soldiers mannindg their guns, and all like that . Very impressive to a young mind, especially one filled with patriotic fervor at that time.
Anyway, does this ring a bell? Do you have any info at all, or is my senility setting in?
Much thanks, Bob

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dick G
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Bob....

No score for this post
March 7 2003, 1:17 AM 

I have no personal knowledge of this--but I do recall an e-mail from a Marine who was stationed aboard a ship mentioning something like this--I think it was in response to his having visited my 1947 Freedom Train site!

Semper Fidelis
Dick Gaines

bob4wd
(no login)

Re: Bob....

No score for this post
March 7 2003, 1:37 PM 

Thanks for the feedback. The time sounds about right, at least I know it wasn't totally my imagination. Sure would like to know just what it was all about, though!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

All Rights Reserved
Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums
By
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

eXTReMe Tracker >