No score for this post

gunnyg  (Login Dick Gaines)
Owner
from IP address 24.99.13.138

From: MAJUSMCRET@aol.com | This is spam | Add to Address Book
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 05:38:16 EDT
Subject: MILINET: Info Request
To:

I have been of the belief that there was some connection between Tobasco Sauce and the U.S. Marine Corps. Is it that a Marine owns the company that makes it? That a Marine invented it?

If anybody knows the answer in legend or in history, I am interested.

Michael D. Wyly
Col., USMC (ret)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.restaurant-marketing.net/breakingnews/news16.html
http://www.restaurant-marketing.net/breakingnews/news16.html

Good ol' Mr. Google...

" Walter S. McIlhenny, fourth president of McIlhenny Company, was a brigadier general in the U.S. Marine Corps and a much decorated WWII combatant. A helmet worn by Walter McIlhenny in the Pacific and the captured enemy sword that put a large dent in it during battle is on exhibit in the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans, along with Mr. McIlhenny’s Navy Cross medal. McIlhenny Company became a major sponsor of the National D-Day Museum in 2001 by underwriting the Guadalcanal exhibit in the museum’s new Pacific Theater wing."

DickG

YOU'RE IN THE ARMY NOW. McIlhenny Company Sends TABASCO® Brand Pepper Sauce into the Heat of Battle

TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce is spicing up meals for all of the United States military services in the mess halls, the officers’ clubs, and most importantly, on the battlefield. In fact, TABASCO® was used officially by the U.S. military as early as the Korean War, and has been in Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) since before Operation Desert Storm. You can even find the popular pepper sauce on the tables of our military submarines.
Soldiers, sailors and airmen participating in “Operation Enduring Freedom” are finding TABASCO® Sauce a real flavor solution to their sometimes-bland field rations. In fact, U.S. and British soldiers in Afghanistan have written letters of thanks to McIlhenny Company requesting even more sauce. The standard MRE military issue of TABASCO® Sauce consists of tiny 1/8-ounce mini-bottles, easily stowed in fatigues, field packs and flight suits.

“It was one of the most often requested supplements to the MREs in Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm, and it is proving to be one of the most popular in Operation Enduring Freedom,” said Mr. Paul C.P. McIlhenny, President and CEO of the Avery Island, Louisiana, based McIlhenny Company, and a former Marine himself. “Secretary of State Colin Powell and retired General Norman Schwarskopf both noted how appreciative American soldiers were to have TABASCO® Sauce mini-bottles in their MREs during Desert Storm. We’re pleased that the troops include TABASCO® Sauce among their favorite supplements to their field ration packs,” added McIlhenny.

The first mention of TABASCO® by someone in the military was in 1888 by Arthur A. S. Barnes, a British lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion of the Duke of Edinburgh’s Wiltshire Regiment, in a letter to his mother. Barnes wrote, “I want to call your attention to a certain sauce. It’s called ‘Tabasco Pepper Sauce’ and seemingly emanates from a man, E. McIlhenny, New Iberia, Louisiana. A drop or two in soup, stew or mixed around with mashed potatoes gives one a great appetite. Here is costs 1/12 rupee or what you would call 3 s. 6. d. It seems dear, but should last as long as 12 of the ordinary sauce at 6 d. a bottle. Try it. I can recommend it.”

McIlhenny Company and TABASCO® have a long history with the military. In 1898, J. A. McIlhenny, second president of McIlhenny Company, resigned from the company to join the 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment, better known as Theodore Roosevelt’s Rough Riders.
Walter S. McIlhenny, fourth president of McIlhenny Company, was a brigadier general in the U.S. Marine Corps and a much decorated WWII combatant. A helmet worn by Walter McIlhenny in the Pacific and the captured enemy sword that put a large dent in it during battle is on exhibit in the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans, along with Mr. McIlhenny’s Navy Cross medal. McIlhenny Company became a major sponsor of the National D-Day Museum in 2001 by underwriting the Guadalcanal exhibit in the museum’s new Pacific Theater wing.

It was, in fact, Brigadier General McIlhenny who started the trend of improving field rations with the publication of “The Charlie Ration Cookbook,” which was mailed along with two-ounce bottles of TABASCO® Sauce in camouflaged, water-resistant canisters to U.S. soldiers in Vietnam. The cookbook, dedicated to the inventive battlefield gourmet, included instructions on how to mix C-rations to make such concoctions as “Combat Canapés” and “Foxhole Hash.”

In the early 1990s during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm a new edition of the cookbook was printed called the “The Unofficial MRE Recipe Booklet,” subtitled “Meals, Ready-to-Excite”. It was offered free of charge to families who had loved ones in the service in the Persian Gulf and added “Stealth Bomber Tuna” and “General’s Jambalaya” to the unofficial way to deal with the official MREs. Miniature TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce bottles were also included in one out of every four MRE kits, and U.S. soldiers wrote dozens of letters either thanking McIlhenny Company for the sauce or requesting more. As a result, TABASCO® miniatures are now included in most MRE kits.

Most recently, during Operation Enduring Freedom, a group of soldiers in Afghanistan used miniature TABASCO® bottles to decorate their Christmas tree.
Others have returned their miniature bottles to McIlhenny Company filled with soil from Camp Rhino and other locations in Afghanistan, and asking for more.

It is not just in combat that you find TABASCO® Sauce in the military, though. The U.S. Navy alone has about 400 mess halls where the popular pepper sauce can be found on the tables. TABASCO® Sauce was used on Skylab by NASA when astronauts complained about their bland rations, has flown on shuttle missions, and is served on the International Space Station. During the 1980s, a French diving team salvaged a bottle of TABASCO® Sauce from a U.S. warship that hit a mine and sank off the coast of France during World War II. And TABASCO® Sauce was recently found on every table in the dining hall of two Australian Navy base camps.

This year marks the 134th anniversary of TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce, which is now labeled in 21 languages and dialects and sold in over 110 countries and territories around the world.

Dick Gaines, GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72
Gunny G's
Globe and Anchor
Sites & Forums!
All Rights Reserved!

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

Gunny G's Old Salt Marines Tavern
Sites & Forums!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

gunnyg
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Resp

No score for this post
August 4 2003, 4:22 PM 

From the Sgt Grit forum...
http://www.grunt.com

There's been some talk about a connection between
your company/product and the Marine Corps. Can
you provide any information on this?
During the Vietnam War, your product was used to
"liven up" some boring food! My guess is that
the practice has continued, and the Rumor Mills
have kicked in!
Thanks!
Bill Weiler Unicoi, Tennessee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, their initial responce...

Greetings from Avery Island, Louisiana!

Actually, there is truth to the story of a strong connection between the McIlhenny family of Tabasco sauce fame and the U.S. Marine Corps: Walter S. McIlhenny, our 4th company president, joined the USMCR in 1935 as a private, served for nearly three years in the Pacific during WWII, received two Purple Hearts, the Silver Star, and the Navy Cross at Guadalcanal, and retired from the USMCR in 1959 as a brigadier general. He left much of his estate to the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Texas.

For more information, see the attached biographical sketch (below).

Sincerely,

Shane K. Bernard, Ph.D.
Historian & Curator
McIlhenny Company Archives

And finally, the opened file:

FROM THE DICTIONARY OF LOUISIANA BIOGRAPHY (USL, Center for Louisiana Studies / Louisiana Historical Association, 1998), entry by Shane K. Bernard, Ph.D.:

MCILHENNY, Walter Stauffer, soldier, businessman. Born, October 22, 1910, Washington, D.C., son of John Avery McIlhenny and Anita Vincent Stauffer. Studied civil engineering at University of Virginia. Career: Worked in 1930s as an engineer, Continental Oil Company. Joined Marine Corps Rifle Team, earning honors as marksman; called to active duty at beginning of World War II, serving 31 months in the western Pacific as a member of B Company, 1st Battalion, Fifth Marines, 1st Division; landed in first attack wave, Guadalcanal; saw action also at New Britain, and at Peleliu, Palau Islands; received numerous citations, including Navy Cross ("for extraordinary heroism and courage" during a Guadalcanal frontal assault), Silver Star (“for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity” in the Solomon Islands), and two Purple Hearts; left active duty in 1945 with the rank of major. Subsequently went to Avery Island, La., for executive training in family business, McIlhenny Company, serving as chairman and president, 1949-85; oversaw sales reorganization and marketing campaign that expanded worldwide popularity of Tabasco brand pepper sauce; upon retirement from Marine Corp Reserve received honorary promotion to brigadier general; co-founder, trustee, and president emeritus, Marine Military Academy, Harlingen, Tex.; served on U.S. Olympic Rifle Committee; trustee, National Wildlife Federation; hunted big game in Africa, Asia, and North America. Died, June 22, 1985, Lafayette, La.; interred, family cemetery, Avery Island, La. SOURCES: “Walter S. McIlhenny Makes Tabasco in Milieu of Old South,” The Wall Street Journal, January 10, 1975; Chicago Tribune, June 24, 1985; The MMA [Marine Military Academy] Journal, obituary, August 1985; New York Times, June 24, 1985; The Valley Morning Star (Harlingen, Tex.), 24 June, 1985; William Standring, "Tabasco Mac," Marine Corps League (Spring 1996). S.K.B.

Semper Fidelis...Velcro

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

Sites & Forums!

gunnyg
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Add

No score for this post
August 5 2003, 2:50 AM 

gunnyg
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Add.

No score for this post
August 5 2003, 1:54 PM 

5 August

MILINET: A Sea Story

By: SSgt Clyde Queen, USMCR (HD)

==============================

Speaking of people who pass themselves off as Generals, let me tell you something that happened to me. Back in 1955, I was sitting at the counter of a "greasy spoon cafe" which was half of the building that housed the Greyhound bus terminal in Santa Ana, CA. One afternoon, while having a hamburger and cup of coffee (On a Marine Corps buck Sergeant's pay, it was about all I could afford at the time.) A old scraggly looking fellow came in and took a seat about three stools down from me.

He wore an old khaki shirt & pants, and a pair of old brown shoes that were paint splattered. He had about a four day growth of beard, and was badly in need of a haircut. He ordered a cup of coffee, and sat there glancing over at me.

This stranger kept staring at me, and I kept expecting to hear the old song, "I was in the Corps back in 'whenever,' can you spare me a dollar for another glass of wine?"

Finally he spoke. He had a deep southern accent. "Sarge, you from out there in El Toro?" he asked. "Yep, I'm from El Toro," I replied, and kept eating my hamburger, trying to avoid looking at him. "What do you do out at El Toro Sarge?" I replied, "Oh a little bit of everything, and not a hell of a lot of anything." (I kept on eating.) Finally it comes! "I was in the Marine Corps he says. I retired after (32 years ??) in the Corps." (I thought to myself, "Good grief! How in the hell do they always find me?")

He kept taking about the Marine Corps, so I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I asked him, "Hey Buddy, what was your last duty station when you retired from the Corps?" He said, "My last Duty Station was Cherry Point, North Carolina. But, I was also out at El Toro, and the Commanding General there now, is a good friend of mine."

Figuring I'd trip him up real good, I said, "Oh yeah! That's that big Marine Corps infantry base back there." To which he immediately replied, "Oh no Sarge, there ain't no Infantry at Cherry Point, that's a Marine Corps Air Base!" (I thought to myself, "Well, by God he got that right, maybe he was in the Corps after all.") So, I asked him what his rank was when he retired. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I sort of figured that maybe (just maybe) he was perhaps a Staff Sergeant when he retired.

He replied, "Well Sarge, I was a Major (and I damn near spit my coffee out) and then he went on to say "General." To which I immediately replied, "Now look you old fart, if you were in the Corps, and you retired as a Staff NCO, be proud of it. The Staff NCOs are the backbone of the Corps. Don't try to blow smoke up my ass by telling me that your were a Major General."

He then wanted to know why I thought he was trying to "Blow smoke up my ass," and asked me why I didn't believe he was a MAJGEN. I pointed out his physical appearance, and told him if he was a MAJGEN that he certainly would not be in a "greasy spoon" coffee shop, drinking coffee with a buck Sergeant.

He said, "Well Sergeant, just so you won't think I'm blowing smoke up your ass, I want to show you something. He reached into his wallet, and pulled out a Marine Corps I.D. Card. It had his photo in a Marine Corps uniform with three stars on the collar, and identified him as "R.E. Sanderson, LTGEN USMC Ret. (He explained that they gave him the 3rd star upon retirement.) I just about choked on my coffee, and hamburger, and broke out into a sweat. Stuttering, and trying to find the right thing to say, I started trying to apologize. He said, "No, no, Sarge you don't need to apologize, you said what was on your mind, and I respect that."

About 8 or 9 months later, I was transferred to 12th Marine Corps Reserve and Recruitment District, 100 Harrison Street, San Francisco. I was assigned for a while to the Public Relations Section with Captain T. J. Caulkin, the PIO. That office had a bio on every retired Marine Corps general in the 12th MC District. I went to the file, and I'll be damned! There was an 8 X 10 black & white photo of the General I had been talking to in the "greasy spoon cafe" It was no other than, Maj Gen R. E. Sanderson, USMC Ret. He WAS NOT a phony!

As it turned out, the General loved working around his house and in his garden, and he didn't bother trying to "Look like a General," when he was doing hard work around his house. He had extended an invitation to me and my young wife to visit him someday at his home, but unfortunately, I never got a chance to take him up on it.

Ever since that time, if someone tells me that they are a General, or a Colonel, or whatever, I take them for their word. Someone else will have to prove that they are not who they say they are. One experience of calling a general officer an "Old Fart," and telling him that he looked like a frigging bum, and damn near calling him a liar. . .and not ending up losing my stripes and spending some brig time, is something I never want to experience again..

Semper Fi,

Clyde H. Queen, Sr.
Formerly H&MS 15, MAG 15
Squadron Training NCO
MCAS, El Toro (Santa Ana) CA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72
Gunny G's GLOBE and ANCHOR Sites & Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/gunny.html

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

Sites & Forums!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

All Rights Reserved
Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums
By
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

eXTReMe Tracker >