Re Sgt Ray Jacobs USMCR (Ret.)

January 10 2004 at 12:45 PM
No score for this post

Dick Gaines  (Login Dick Gaines)
Owner
from IP address 69.34.130.7

Written By: S. Ray "Doc" Fornof

Aloha, 7th of December, 2003
In my efforts to better define our defense in the complaint recently by retired USMC Col. Dave Severance, I submit to you the following information and attaching exhibits for your review.
I became involved in the flag raising when James Bradley published the book, "Flags of our Fathers"; about the larger replacement flag being raised on Iwo Jima.
I researched and located 1st Lt. Tedd Thomey that wrote the book "Immortal Images". Then, in our discussions, he sent me an autographed copy of his book and we began to correspond with each other. Tedd knew, and had talked with Chuck Lindberg, and provided me with Lindberg's address and telephone number. I called Chuck and we developed a Marine Brother friendship. Then, Lindberg knowing my interests sent me information, autographed pictures and an autographed copy of the book, "Never In Doubt". I was honored to know him and then hear first hand about the assault squad that raised our first colors there at Mt. Suribachi in Iwo Jima on 23 February 1945.
My son does enlargements, and I had 30 by 40 enlargements made of Chuck and the first flag of ours having been raised, for Lindberg and me.
Then one day, I was looking more closely at those in that enlargement, and saw an additional hand and portion of another helmet there at the make shift flagpole. It became obvious to me that there were seven people there, rather than only the six recognized by our Marine Historical Division Records.
However, to this day, there exists confusion as to just who the seventh person there was, as well as the others there that our Marine Historical Division's records show as others being there. This exists, as well as what happened in the wrong names of those involved by the supposed authority had of those in the second, and only a much larger and a replacement flag being raised that AP Photographer, Joe Rosenthal was made famous and recognized for the photograph.
I then had a Sculptor sculpt a bar relief of Chuck Lindberg and those others in the flag having been raised picture that Lindberg had sent to me.
I also had a large bronze shield casting made, with raised lettering of info and everyone's names that Lindberg and other records that was provided to me. I then had the bar relief casting of those having raised our first flag attached to it.
The first one cast, I had sent to our Commandant, General James Jones, and was hanging in his conference room at our Pentagon in Washington, D C.
I also sent our Commandant a request for him to honor our unsung hero, Cpl. Charles Lindberg, Silver Star recipient for his heroism at Mt. Suribachi and with his being involved the raising of our Stars & Strips in Victory there on Iwo Jima.
General Jones had a detachment of Marines from Minneapolis deploy to Lindberg's residence and present Chuck with our good General's personal recognition.
A television crew accompanied the Marine Detail and video taped the presentation and with a copy of the videotape having been sent to me.
Then on a Memorial Day, several years ago, Ray Jacobs sent E-mail to our Gunny Gaines. Jacobs stated that he was the radioman from "F" Company and had assisted the CO, 1st Lt. Harold G. Schrier on the patrol that raised our 1st Colors there at Mt. Suribachi in Iwo Jima on 23 February 1945.
The good Gunny was aware of my interests and forwarded everything to me.
I had kept him informed and was aware that I had come to know Chuck Lindberg.
We both were quite interested in this and we began our research on Jacobs.
Chuck Lindberg provided me with many pictures that showed that the radioman was not Lou Charlo, and was that of the same person that Jacobs said was he.
Then in many photo comparisons, along with the newspaper articles and the letter to Jacobs from Lou Lowery, of our Leatherneck magazine convinced me.
Jacobs sent me his bio and all about his tour of duty with our beloved Corps.
Then, upon my assembling that booklet, and sending a copy of it to our Historical Division, I received a letter from Col. Ripley, the Director.
His letter stated, and I quote him, "Thank you for your letter of 30 June 2001 and the interesting booklet of photographs and information on the first Iwo Jima flag raising that accompanied it." "We continue to add new information to our growing Iwo Jima flag raising files in the Historical Center's Reference Section so that all those studying this event may benefit from these files." "We will also be adding the information provided by Sergeant Raymond Jacobs covering both his Marine Corps service and his role in the events of 23 February 1945 to our files." Then in closing; "Your interest in and support of Marine Corps history is appreciated" Sincerely, and signed, John W. Ripley, with J. W. RIPLEY, Colonel, U. S. Marine Corps (Retired) Director, Marine Corps History and Museums Division.
I then contacted our Commandant, and sent him a copy of the research booklet and suggested that our Pacific War Memorial here should be of the First Flag having been raised there at Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima. In my doing so, I stated that; Historically this was the First Foreign Flag ever raised on the Japanese Homeland in World War Two; as Iwo Jima is a Prefecture (County) of Tokyo, Japan.
Our Commandant's letter of reply was, and I quote, "The Commanding General of Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, agrees with your recommendations to place the National Iwo Jima Memorial depicting the first flag raising in a prominent place for recognition. Such a place is near the main gate of Marine Corps Base Hawaii. The Pacific War Memorial Association has undertaken this specific fund-raising project. You may access the Pacific War Memorial Association web site at www.pacificwarmemorial.org for more information." Then; "On behalf of Marines everywhere, know that your contributions to our beloved Corps will never be forgotten. Semper Fidelis, and signed; J L Jones with J.L.JONES, and General, U.S. Marine Corps, with; Commandant of the Marine Corps
In my contacting the Pacific War Memorial Association; Alice Clark, their Chairman called me. We arranged a meeting here in Hilo, late one evening at the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel, to discuss my suggestions. Alice told me early on that they were planning to have statues of the men in both flags there at MCBH, Kaneohe Bay. Then that because the molds were available of the second flag, from a much smaller one that the Iwo Jima Survivor's Association in Connecticut, had molds they could use and at a cost of only $600,000.00.
Naturally, that bothered me and I complained about what General Jones had said and was in agreement with the Commanding General of MCBH, Kaneohe Bay. To satisfy me, they agreed to have one of the 5 ft by 8 ft Black Granite Panels, on the base of the memorial inscribed with a photo of those having raised the first flag and with Raymond Jacobs shown as the radioman there with all of the others.
Then, as the panels were being etched, Alice Clark called me with a concern in their having Pfc. Raymond Jacobs name there as the radioman.
I then called and talked to Chuck Melson at our Marine Historical Division in Washington, D C, about Pfc. Raymond Jacobs being shown as the radioman. there on that panel. He agreed and the information was then approved in their doing so, and Pfc. Raymond Jacobs was shown there as the radioman on our Pacific War Memorial at MCBH, Kaneohe Bay.
When Colonel Severance found out about Jacob's name there on the memorial, he wrote me an angry letter about "My Crime" in their doing so.
Then the Minnesota Marine friends of mine informed me about an effort to Honor the First Flag Raisers in Long Prairie, Minnesota.
I searched out the project chairman and sent him a copy of the Pfc. Raymond Jacobs booklet and other information, along with Jacob's address and phone number. The chairman called Jacobs and invited him to be their guest at the celebration. Ray, his wife and Daughter, Nancy attended the Dedication and Celebration.
There on a 40 ft high monument, they had life-sized cut-outs, painted Black, of from left to right, Jacobs, Hansen, Thomas and Schrier, with Lindberg raising colors. The wall has a mural of men going up the mountain, and a large Memorial Plaque at the base, with Pfc. Raymond Jacob's name on it there.
The first flag raising is now of our Congressional Record, by our Hawaii, 2nd District U. S. Congressman Ed Case, with Pfc. Raymond Jacob's name shown there, in his speech on the House Floor in Washington, DC on 13 February 2003.
The 20-inch tall Marquette Figures of Ray Jacobs, Boots Thomas, Jim Michels and Chuck Lindberg have been sculpted and are ready to have cast.
These were on display at our 5th Marine Division Association Reunion in San Diego, California. Ray Jacobs and his wife attended the celebration there in San Diego. Major General Fred Haynes attended also and was very impressed with our efforts and his talking personally with Ray Jacobs. The good General called to thank me for all of the efforts and the accomplishment on the progress of our Iwo Jima Memorial.
General Haynes agreed to our having his name, as an advisor, on our letterhead and literature. He also said that he would assist us to help raising the funds needed for our Memorial Mission.
I am truly sorry that our retired Marine Brother, Col. Dave Severance is now having second thoughts, at this point in time, concerning our Marine Radioman Pfc. Raymond Jacobs to be included on our memorial here in Hilo, on the Big Island of Hawaii.
Pfc. Gene Marshall was the Radioman assigned to the Dave Severance "E" Company. When it was determined that Pfc. Lou Charlo, a Browning Automatic Rifleman was not a Radioman, some thought it to have been Marshall there assisting with our First Flag having been raised. However then, Col. Dave Severance stated that Marshall was with him at the base of the mountain, when the First Flag of ours had been raised there on 23 February in 1945.
Recently, in a letter written on 29 October, 2003 by Col. Dave E. Severance, USMC (ret), P. O. Box 1972, La Jolla, CA 92038-1972 he stated,
"It now appears to me that the patrol radioman may have been a communications man named "Marshall." This statement, after what he had said previously, would tend to indicate that at his advanced age, the Old Colonel is suffering with dementia; or just a memory of and at his convenience.
Our Sculptor, commissioned with sculpting the Maquettes of our memorial is Mr. Dale Smith of The Artworks Foundry in Berkeley, California. At this time, Mr. Smith has four of the seven figures ready to be cast.
The Northwest Territorial Mint has minted Silver Dollar sized Memorial Coins that are available to purchase. They are available in an Antique Bronze, encased in plastic at $25.00 each. In .999 Fine Silver, with a Jewelers Case at $50.00 each, with Gold Enhanced Plating in a Jewelers Case at $75.00 each and Gold Plated, with a Jewelers Case for $100.00 each. There is also a custom ordered Pure Gold Commemorative Coin, in a Special Engraved Jewelers Case, for any donation that is for $2,500.00, or more.
For any additional information, please contact us at the E-mail Address, Post Office Box or Telephone number shown below.

"Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni"

Sincerely,

S. Ray "Doc" Fornof
Chairman
Iwo Jima USMC Memorial Association, Inc.
(We are IRS 501 (c) 3, Volunteer Jarheads)
P. O. Box 4783,
Hilo, Island of Hawaii
HI 96720-0783
(808) 959-8696
E-mail: Doc666USMC@AOL.Com

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fran Marshall
(no login)

Radioman Gene M. Marshall

No score for this post
March 2 2005, 3:16 PM 

The message I just saw reads in part:
"Pfc. Gene Marshall was the Radioman assigned to the Dave Severance "E" Company. When it was determined that Pfc. Lou Charlo, a Browning Automatic Rifleman was not a Radioman, some thought it to have been Marshall there assisting with our First Flag having been raised. However then, Col. Dave Severance stated that Marshall was with him at the base of the mountain, when the First Flag of ours had been raised there on 23 February in 1945.
Recently, in a letter written on 29 October, 2003 by Col. Dave E. Severance, USMC (ret), P. O. Box 1972, La Jolla, CA 92038-1972 he stated,
"It now appears to me that the patrol radioman may have been a communications man named "Marshall." This statement, after what he had said previously, would tend to indicate that at his advanced age, the Old Colonel is suffering with dementia; or just a memory of and at his convenience."

I am Gene Marshall's daughter. He spent most of his adult life proving (which he believed he finally did) that he was, indeed, the radioman in the first photograph. If you have any further information on this matter, I would appreciate it. I lost my father when I was 21 and am trying to piece together what I did and did not know about him and his life before my mom and I came along.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Fran Marshall

This message has been edited by Dick Gaines from IP address 65.41.236.109 on Mar 3, 2005 3:04 PM

GyG
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Forwarded to Ray Jacobs this date...

No score for this post
March 3 2005, 1:56 PM 

ray1jacobs@msn.com

~~~~~~~~~~

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952 (Plt #437)--'72

GyG's Globe and Anchor! --Sites & Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/sites.html
GyG's Old Salt Marines Tavern ~Interactive~
http://network54.com/Forum/135069
Gunny G's Globe and Anchor Weblog
http://gunnyg.blogspot.com
~SITES/FORUMS FOR THE THINKING MARINE!~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GyG
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Please see Ray Jacobs' Eyewitness report...

No score for this post
March 3 2005, 3:05 PM 

http://carol_fus.tripod.com/marines_hero_ray_jacobs.html
http://carol_fus.tripod.com/marines_hero_ray_jacobs.html

~~~~~~~~~~

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952 (Plt #437)--'72

GyG's Globe and Anchor! --Sites & Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/sites.html
GyG's Old Salt Marines Tavern ~Interactive~
http://network54.com/Forum/135069
Gunny G's Globe and Anchor Weblog
http://gunnyg.blogspot.com
~SITES/FORUMS FOR THE THINKING MARINE!~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raymond Jacobs
(no login)

The Radioman And Colonel Severance

No score for this post
March 3 2005, 4:48 PM 

In an Associated Press story dated Feb.20,2005 about my role as the radioman with Lt.Shrier's flag raising patrol Colonel Dave Severance is quoted as saying he doesn't buy my story.This dispite the conclusion drawn by forensic photo analyst James Ebert that "the radioman shown in the Lowery photos taken on Mt.Suribachi is Ray Jacobs".Mr.Ebert informed Col.Severance of his findings.
"We thought we were going to storm the mountain" Severance said "If my radioman had left me he'd still be in jail".His radioman was Gene Marshall.He didn't go to jail.Severance is quoted at other times as saying his radioman remained with him at his CP at the foot of Suribachi.
I have also provided Colonel Severance and the Marine Corps with copies of news stories written by reporters who interviewed us on Suribachi just after the flag was raised.Here is a quote from one such story which ran in the Feb.24,1945 edition of the Los Angeles Times.
"PFC RAYMOND JACOBS OF THE TWENTY-EIGHTH MARINES WAS REVEALED AS BEING A MEMBER OF THE PATROL OF 14 LEARTHERNECKS WHO PROUDLY RAISED THE AMERICAN FLAG ON MT.SURIBACHI YESTERDAY".."THE FLAG RAISING UNIT WAS LED BY LIEUT>HAROLD SHRIER..".
I did not know Gene Marshall but he was a Marine who served on Iwo Jima.That makes him an outstanding Marine in anyones book.I honor his service.
Semper Fi,Ray Jacobs

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

All Rights Reserved
Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums
By
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

eXTReMe Tracker >