No score for this post

GyG  (Login Dick Gaines)
Owner
from IP address 69.69.144.8

Sent : Monday, April 11, 2005 9:19 AM
To : <"Undisclosed-Recipient:, "@ms3.surfglobal.net>
Subject :2d Division Medal

Friends
I came across something unusual, at least to me. It was a picture and text about a medal produced by the Second Division (WWI) Association for members that served in France. The photo of the medal in the article was not in color so I had to guess at the color of the ribbon.
Do any of you know anything about this medal; how many were issued; are they available for sale now; have you seen one? I'm not buying any, just interested. NO, I CANNOT PROVIDE A PICTURE OF IT.

Leatherneck, April 1934, “Second Division commemorative medal.” “Roosevelt recently presented them to Bundy, Harbord and Lejeune, etc.” The base is of silver bronze, in the form of a shield, with 2d Div star in relief with Indian head imposed in ivory enamel, colors Indian red, feathers white, etc. The words “Second Division Regulars in circular design of the Fourragere, around star, in circular design. Dates 1917-1918-1919 in circle.
Reverse side had an elongated shield for the wearer’s name below which a list of all operations.
Then “For Honorable Service In the Second Division, Regular, AEF.” Doesn’t state the colors of the ribbon but appears, from photo, to have been that of the Fourragere.
Thanks for any info.
George Clark

~~~~~~~~~~

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952 (Plt #437)--'72

GyG's Globe and Anchor! --Sites & Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/sites.html
GyG's Old Salt Marines Tavern ~Interactive~
http://network54.com/Forum/135069
Gunny G's Globe and Anchor Weblog
http://gunnyg.blogspot.com
~SITES/FORUMS FOR THE THINKING MARINE!~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

GyG
(Login Dick Gaines)
Owner

Responses....

No score for this post
April 13 2005, 12:43 PM 

Sent : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 11:25 AM
To : <"Undisclosed-Recipient:, "@ms1.surfglobal.net>
Subject : Medal report

| | | Inbox
Friends, I am sending you the replies I received that describe where and when. The first in arrival came from Ken Smith-Christmas, History & Museums; the second from Brad Omanson; the third from Joe Gorin of San Francisco, describing Neil F. Dougerthy’s medal (a relative) who was one of the Greats at the Meuse River campaign on 2 November 1918. "Check him out in your handy dandy Clark 4th Brigade Awards book." Fourth came from Col Pat Kirby, USMC (ret), now living in Ireland, whose report is also quite informative as to ribbon colors etc. When Pat sends along a color “photos” I’ll pass it along.

George:
There are several examples of this medal in the Marine Corps Museum's collection. (emphasis added) However, the ever-shrinking staff is fully committed to the preparations for the exhibits in the upcoming National Museum of the Marine Corps, while being tasked with the dismantling of the entire Marine Corps Historical Center at the Washington Navy Yard, and as a result, cannot respond to any requests for information for the forseeable future.
Respectfully Submitted,

GS-13 Kenneth L. Smith-Christmas
Curator, National Museum of the Marine Corps
Museums Branch
Marine Corps History and Museums Division
2014 Anderson Avenue
Quantico, Virginia 22134-5002
Tel: (703) 784-2607

George, & everyone,
I have one of these which came with the effects of a 4th Brigade Marine, but his no longer had the ribbon. However, I found a front & back view of such a medal, with ribbon, on the web.
They can be viewed at: (front view)
and (back view).
BJ Omanson

George,
My grandmother gave me NFD's Second Division Medal along with his World War I Victory Medal. It's as you described. Colors on the ribbon:blue on both edges of the ribbon followed by a thin white stripe on each side of a broad red stripe that goes down the middle of the ribbon. His name is inscribed on the obverse side of the medal. Bonus: I recently inherited his Second Division Association member card from 1957 - the year of his death. He had paid his membership dues to the end.

I have only seen one other medal like the one you described and that was in a lot of medals offered on eBay. Incidentally, you might want to look at www.ebay.com and in the "Search" field, type in "USMC WWI" You'll find some interesting items being offered for sale.

Lastly, I sent you some info on NFD in the mail last week. Let me know when you receive it.

Best,

Joe

George you came to the right person. The Kirby warehouse of bits and pieces has such a medal in it's original box.

Bronze colored shield with an enameled star with Indian head super imposed. the ribbon is tri colored. Medium blue stripe, thin white stripe, large red stripe, then white and blue..
The face of the medal has 1917, 1918,1919 about the star and Second Division Regulars at the tree points of the shield.
Reverse A box for the name of the recipient , a list of the battles (honors ?)
and around the edge of the shield "For Honorable Service in the Second Division Regular AEF"
The medal was made by "The Whitehead & Hoag Company, Newark New Jersey

My medal was awarded to James Dwyer who was in the Army. His son was a Marine Lt serving in China as WWII was ending and was recalled as a Captain in 1950. Jim Dwyer gave the medal to his Godson, my first cousin who was a Marine Lt in the mid 50s who in turn gave it to his Godson Major Michael Kirby, USMCR. ( my son who lives in Sligo (Ireland))
When I said my medal, I was in error since it actually belong to Mike but is currently in my house.

I will see if I can scan the medal in color and will post the results to you. Pat

~~~~~~~~~~

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952 (Plt #437)--'72

GyG's Globe and Anchor! --Sites & Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/sites.html
GyG's Old Salt Marines Tavern ~Interactive~
http://network54.com/Forum/135069
Gunny G's Globe and Anchor Weblog
http://gunnyg.blogspot.com
~SITES/FORUMS FOR THE THINKING MARINE!~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

All Rights Reserved
Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums
By
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

eXTReMe Tracker >