GyG  (Login Dick Gaines)
Owner
from IP address 67.76.216.242

Sent : Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:39 AM
To : <"Undisclosed-Recipient:, "@ms3.surfglobal.net>
Subject : NEW BOOK -- BY GBC

| | | Inbox
Friends,

My biography of "Hiking" Hiram I. Bearss has been published by McFarland & Company. It is an up-dated, expanded version, with 278 pages, maps, and many photos, notes, bibliography, index, and appendices. Priced at $35.00 plus shipping (from McFarland) at $4.00. You can purchase from them, or from me with inscription, if you like, at the same price but $3.00 postage.
I am very pleased with the job they have done with it. It has a very colorful softcover and the grade of paper is fine.
So, if you are interested, please let me know and I will order a copy for you. I will wait a week before ordering, so please let me know as soon as possible.

If there is anyone out there who doesn't know who Bearss is: let me explain.
Hiking Hiram was a character of the Old Marine Corps. From the Spanish-American War through WWI in France. He was awarded the Medal of Honor at Sohotan Cliffs, in the Philippines (where he was a member of the Waller party that crossed the island of Samar), he served extensively in the Caribbean, including Panama, Cuba, Haiti, and Santo Domingo. In France he commanded the 5th Marines, the 9th Infantry, and 3/9 which earned plaudits because of his training and discipline, Assistant Regimental commander of the 6th Marines at Belleau Wood. Then to command the 102d Infantry at St. Mihiel and the Marchville campaign, at which he was awarded a Distinguished Service Cross and many other decorations from France, Belgium, etc. Plus he commanded the 57th Infantry Brigade at the end of the war.
Diasabled out in 1919 he organized and then commanded the first Federal Guard at the Federal Reserve Bank, NYC. He was one hell of a Marine and even the Army loved/hated him. His pals were Butler, Wise, Porter, and even Pershing liked him.
He was from the fighting element of the Corps.
George Clark

~~~~~~~~~~

R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GnySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952 (Plt #437)--'72

GyG's Globe and Anchor! --Sites & Forums
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/sites.html
GyG's Old Salt Marines Tavern ~Interactive~
http://network54.com/Forum/135069
Gunny G's Globe and Anchor Weblog
http://gunnyg.blogspot.com
~SITES/FORUMS FOR THE THINKING MARINE!~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>~Return to Index~  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
SHARE THIS/LINK TO THIS PAGE/ADD, ETC.
CLICK BELOW!

All Rights Reserved
Gunny G's Marines Sites & Forums
By
R.W. "Dick" Gaines
GySgt USMC (Ret.)
1952-72

eXTReMe Tracker >