<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help smoothing a carving

January 4 2011 at 12:25 PM
Trent  (Login TrentNich)
from IP address 63.85.221.254

I've recently began carving and have completed two bears and am currently working on a cougar. I have used nothing but my Stihl MS290 with standard setup to carve with which has worked good on the bears, but with a cougar they alway appear much more sleek and I do not know how to smooth it other than using sanders. In order to do a more fine hair on the cat do I get a smaller bar, do I use a dremel tool? I've tried the dremel and it doesn't get the cutting depth needed.

Are they any tricks of the trade?

Thanks,

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Die grinder

January 15 2011, 6:12 PM 

a die grinder is an option. So is a smaller saw and 1/4" pitch carving chain

Respond to this message   
Steve Pearson
(Login GnawDog)

Re: Die grinder

January 20 2011, 8:59 PM 

For smoothness use a 4 1/2" grinder with a 36 grit sanding disk. For a lot of chainsaw carvers that is the smoothest things get. Another trick for smoothness is to get a weed burning torch connected to a 5 gallon propane tank and torch the sucker! After brushing with a wire brush all the fuzzies and sharp edges are gone. Your first coat of varnish should be sprayed on lightly to seal the piece. Don't use a brush or it will smear soot everywhere. To spray use half mineral spirits in a pump sprayer. I save on mineral spirits by cleaning the sprayer and brushes with diesel.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement