<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Help with cracking

January 1 2016 at 10:42 PM
Kim Morgan  (Login kkompan)
from IP address 24.237.158.10

This is my first chainsaw carving... I didn't "finish" it and now it's developed big and multiple cracks. The ones shown here are getting much worse. I put sanding sealer on it, is there something else I should or could do to save it? In the future should I oil or something while the piece is sitting unfinished? I brought it indoors as we had wet freezing weather and I was having trouble sanding it so wet, in no time it cracked EVERYWHERE. Probably my wood stove heat didn't help.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Hats
(Login wearsmanyhats)

all carvings crack

January 3 2016, 10:55 AM 

cracking is a part of life. There are several techniques to deal with it. Simplest thing to do is what for the carving to finish cracking, then glue wedges into the cracks and recarve.
You can also make a relief cut from the center to the outside edge to force where the crack will occur. Carvings made from half or quarter logs tend to crack much less.

I'd suggest you head over to the carving post forum and ask your question there, or use the search function to find what other people have done.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/118564

Respond to this message   
Hats
(no login)

also

January 7 2016, 8:05 PM 

sanding sealer can help for a couple of days, but not really more. Small carvings can be immersed in Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and allowed to soak.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Arts, Literature and CultureCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement