<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OMAS 360.

August 30 2004 at 7:28 PM
Nicole.J  (no login)

I'd like to know the opinions of this forum here on the OMAS 360 fountain pen.

Quality factors, materials, etc. I have already handled one as such, and found it pleasing. Since I realize that many do not like the triangular shape of the item.

Thank you,

I note there was a thread regarding the vegetal resin that OMAS uses?

Respond to this message   

(Login EduardoJB)
AP Discussion Group

Nicole, the Omas 360 is my favorite pen…

August 30 2004, 7:54 PM 

it has a combination of attributes which make it very comfortable (the shape, the lightness), the clip works very well, being pretty tenacious, and the nib is very smooth, gliding easily across the paper with little effort. However, and I wish I wouldn't have to say this, the quality control appears to be very flawed. I own five of them (in black, in white, the new Vision transparent version —which by the way is beautiful IMHO, and the Mezzo), and all of them, except the black one, have had problems: leaking through the piston, caps becoming loose, and in the case of the Mezzo, the whole "innovative cartridge loading mechanism" falling apart. All of them have been sent back, and all have been returned in excellent working condition, months after. All in all, I still find the design extremely elegant and intelligent in its apparent simplicity, with a very recognizable character, without having to appear a "luxury" item. This is not a pen for showing off, it is, rather, a pen to appreciate.

Respond to this message   
(Login JackForster)
Belles Lettres Discussion Group

Hi Nicole, welcome to the Pen Forum. . . vegetal resin. . .

September 2 2004, 7:53 AM 

. . .as OMAS calls their proprietary formulation of cellulose based plastic, is not strictly speaking a celluloid (which is a specific chemical formulation of cellulose based plastic) but it is different from the injection molded thermoplastics or machined acrylics used by most other pen companies and it does share the lightness and warmth in the hand characteristic of actual celluloids. Vegetable fibers have been used for making plastics since the early days of experimentation with the first proto-celluloid, Parkesine, in the 1840's I believe. Of course hard rubber, also known as Ebonite, is also technically a plastic; it's just not a petroleum based thermoplastic like those ubiquitous in plastic production today.

I have several OMAS pens and like them very much- the only celluloid OMAS I've had a chance to spend any time with is an Arco rollerball and I assure you that up close and personal they are stunning, stunning pens, though anecdotally there certainly seem to be some quality control issues with the early series 360's- who knows, maybe any problems (if they really are present across the production series) have been worked out by now.

Jack Forster

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page