<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Recommendation for a pen for $300

February 13 2010 at 5:36 AM
Melvin LIM  (Login Mell0822)

Hi, I'm new to pen collecting. My wife wants to buy me a pen for my birthday in March. Budget is $300 (or S$500). Can recommend some good fountain pens for the price? Prefer ink cartridge type. Thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kong
(Login vlkong)
AP Discussion Group

Looking at ...

February 15 2010, 8:41 PM 

your wife's budget, it is quite challenging.

If to get something more common, quite many can fit into that range. I hope you will ink and use the pen.
Getting a bit concern when the word collecting come into the picture.

As I am more of a Japanese FP enthusiast, and you would like a catridge, I suggest getting a Sailor 1911 but with a Nagahara Nib. However you may need to top up a bit and go to the pen-shop to dip-try if you like the writing and feeling the pen provides.

There is one which is really good but not a catridge is the Sailor REALO.

Something more practical, would get a Pilot Capless or even the Lamy Dialog 3 Fountain PenLamy Dialog 3 Fountain Pen happy.gif

Kong

Respond to this message   
Byrd
(Login RMByrd)

good pens

February 17 2010, 6:47 AM 

Welcome to the wonderful world of fountain pens. In my personal experience, I have found that Cross has some wonderful pens. They have very nice smooth nibs and the medium nib is a little finer than the normal medium. In addition, look for A. G. Spaulding. Those are Japanese pens with excellent smooth nibs. The ones I have have the wooden barrels that are very nice in the hand and they use standard ink cartridges. Just one note, I have found that the quality of writing of every pen I have in my collection (I can't believe I just said that, I guess I am a collector after all) depends a great deal upon what paper I match the pen with. I have one Mont Blanc (a gift from my thoughtful better half) and the flow is so nice that when I try to write on paper that has too open a weave it give far too broad a line. On the other end of the spectrum, if the paper is too smooth, too tight and especially with too much sizing on it, it doesn't write well either. Especially if the paper has too much sizing. I had one very expensive notebook a couple of years ago that I found I simply could not write in because every pen I tried clogged, even ball points. Very depressing.

Anyway, to sum, the key element to a fountain pen is the nib, whatever the cost. You don't have to spend a fortune to get an instrument that will serve long and well and become a favorite friend.

take care

B

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page