<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Caran d'Ache Kufi Art

June 2 2010 at 6:42 PM
K T  (Login lanatir)
AP Discussion Group

I got a chance to see this intriguing piece in person recently when it was in KL. They are currently in prototype stage. After the Gotica and the Buddha pieces from CdA, they decided to develop a piece that embodies Middle Eastern art which also automatically appeals to the Islamic market.

Kufi Art is an art using Arabic characters. Each 'square' consists of a particular sentence or message that must be crafted into that particular shape. It is often the skill of the composer to create a perfect fit that goes well with the meaning of the sentence and also provide some challenge for the viewer to try to decipher this shape. With Kufi, the Arabic calligraphy begins at the bottom and slowly spirals into the center of the shape. You can spell out anything with this, including names and the art is not limited to Islamic phrases.

Anyway the pieces are crafted using ebony wood with gold and also silver/rhodium on top. CdA went about looking for a Kufi artist and managed to locate one, coincidentally in Malaysia by the name of Shukor Yahya. As such, CdA then worked with Mr Shukor together with their own artisans to design the pen.

The maze-like message which was composed into squares and rectangles and subsequently inscripted on the pen and translated into English...

[linked image]

[linked image]

The Silver/Rhodium piece

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The Gold piece

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

There will be 101 pieces of fountain pens (gold and silver) and roller ball (gold and silver) respectively. I understand that for the Malaysian market, CdA will commission Mr Shukor to craft out a Kufi shape (perhaps out of the owner's name) and then engrave it onto the cap of the pen.

Regards
Kelvin

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DRMW
(Login DRMW)
AP Discussion Group

looks good.

June 2 2010, 9:48 PM 

I have the same shaped Caran d'Ache and use it regularly. Thanks for the info KT!

-MW

Respond to this message   
K T
(Login lanatir)
AP Discussion Group

My pleasure...

June 3 2010, 6:52 PM 

It's a nice piece that's not priced too high and I think attracts an audience that enjoys subtler pieces.

Regards
Kelvin

Respond to this message   

VL Kong
(Login vlkong)
AP Discussion Group

Thanks for the post ...

June 7 2010, 3:18 AM 

Hi KT

Is it human engraved or machine? From your pics, the edges are perfect.

Malaysia Boleh!

Kong

Respond to this message   
K T
(Login lanatir)
AP Discussion Group

It's machined :) nt

June 9 2010, 10:21 AM 

nt

Regards
Kelvin

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page