Return to Index  

LiL’s Adventures in Tibet – Part 2 – Mount Everest, Food and Accommodation

August 5 2010 at 1:32 AM

LiL  (Login LiL888)

In my opinion, the highlight of our Tibet trip was our journey to Mount Everest. Called Mount Qomolangma in Tibetan, it is the highest peak in the world.

[linked image]

Its Tibetan meaning of 'Goddess the Third' adds more mysterious color and magic power to the subject. As a result, it has intrigued all kinds of people since it was first discovered. Even kids love it up there.

[linked image]

Pilgrims trek long distances to present a pious worship, climbing enthusiasts run great risks to challenge its high altitude and the common tourists also yearn for a reverent look at this holy peak

The drive from Lhasa to Mount Everest takes 2 days and you drive through 750 km of roads ( 650 km good roads and the last 100 km dirt road )

[linked image]

You will enjoy views such as this :

[linked image]

And this

[linked image]

Himalayan Mountains

[linked image]

Stone offerings

[linked image]

You will drive through 3 Mountain Passes where you go up to 5428 metres. Good thing I popped many Diamox pills otherwise the altitude sickness would have hit me bad.

[linked image]

Prayer flags at the Passes

[linked image]

Well, it was all worth the trouble when we caught our first glimpse

[linked image]

Sunset is the best time to take photo of the majestic mountain. A few minutes before sunset, its peak turns bright orange. You have only 5 minutes or so to capture that photo so shutterbugs have to brave the cold and get the shot you drove so far for.

[linked image]

Note for collage above : Start at the top left photo and view photos in anti clockwise direction. The fourth shot was taken about half an hour after the first shot.

We stayed overnight at Tent City which is the Base Camp of Mount Everest

[linked image]

Top photo : Each tent is run by a different family and some of the tents have catchy names

Facilities wise, I have to confess it was not a five star experience. I drank as little water as possible because I could not bear to step into the makeshift toilet. I had to pee outdoors a total of 2 times blush.

[linked image]

Tip to other travelers : We borrowed clean sheets, pillows and quilts from our hotel in Lhasa. I guess we got better sleep than the other travelers cause the Tent City beds and blankets were not exactly spotless clean or comfortable for that matter.

Luckily we had to endure this discomfort for only 1 night. The next morning, a bus came to take us a little closer to the Mountain.

[linked image]

The resident dog

[linked image]

China Mobile has made it possible to call your best buddies from the base camp and make them envious of your adventures

[linked image]

Or send them a postcard via China Post

[linked image]

Due to high number of visitors, Tibet does have some decent hotels.

In Lhasa, we stayed at Brahmaputra Hotel

[linked image]

which is also a mini museum although how many of the artefacts are authentic I am not sure now

[linked image]

Adequate facilities according to the brochure, this is the only hotel with 5 star ratings in Lhasa

[linked image]

And comfy rooms

[linked image]

My only complaint is that the beds are a bit too hard for my liking. But then again, China hotel beds are like that.

We stayed at ZangLong hotel in Shigatse

[linked image]

Also comfortable and very good service from the reception staff.

You can get a massage in the shower when you adjust the direction of the spray.

[linked image]

Food wise, we wanted to try everything unique on the menu.

[linked image]

Anticlockwise from top left : Yak curry, Yak fried rice, Yak pie, Yak Chow Mien and Yak Tail

And you must not forget to try the Yak Butter Tea. Not exactly a favourite with tourists coz of its unique taste

[linked image]

Top left : Yak Butter Tea
Bottom left : Chang plateau barley wine
Middle : Waitress serving Yak Butter Tea
Right : Sweet herbal drink which is supposed to help you acclimatize

Sample menu - reasonable prices

[linked image]

We also tried Tibetan hot pot - herbal soup base

[linked image]

Generous portions and enough for 4 to 5 adults

Tibetan restaurants are a plenty in Lhasa and some have interesting signboards

[linked image]

If you are not into Tibetan grub, there is plenty of Western food and Chinese Sichuan food. However, I would not recommend seafood because the prawns and fish we had was not fresh. Our tourguide told us that Tibetans ( who are mostly Buddhists ) prefer to eat Yak because you only have to take 1 life to feed many people. If you eat seafood, you have to kill many beings to feed one person.

[linked image]

Stay tuned for Part 3 of LiLs Adventures in Tibet.

( Please note that some of the text has been lifted off other articles on the Internet but the photos are all original. The opinions expressed here are based on my personal experience )

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page