Return to Index  

Re: WoW!

August 10 2010 at 9:19 PM

LiL  (Login LiL888)

Response to WoW!

Hiiiiiii Helen Howzit going ? Please see the reply to your comments below :

Lil,

This is an amazing trip; is it a recent? I realize photography is a hobby / developing skill but the places you visit and the broad scope of folk lore, people and country makes it amazing that you can capture so much in so little time. You must be a whirl wind type of person to keep up that sort of pace.

( *** I visited Tibet beginning of last month. Summer is the best time to visit Tibet due to the harsh climate.

I have been back a month now and it took me so long to post my photoessay coz I have been so busy with my new baby hedgehog, Needles. Isnt he adorable ?

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Well, I guess I am kinda a whirlwind type of person. I get bored easily which is why I need to travel so often.. hahahaha. *** )

Its crazy that you need to show a identification / passport to enter that building and that youre even allowed to take photos or videos in the temple. I guess with having so much security, it may draw more people to want to go in to see whats being guarded encouraging income from curious picture seekers.

( *** Well, I think the reason why you need to show identification is because of the China government is not in good terms with the Dalai Lama and Potala Palace is his former winter residence. I was surprised they charged so much to take photos inside the chapels at Sera and Tashilhunpo Monastery. Most people did not want to fork out that much $$$ so I doubt they derived any income from us tourists. I was told that Kumbum monastery in Gyantse charges only RMB10( around USD$3 ) per chapel and that money many people paid. *** )

The peoples costume is colorful but I really find it interesting that so much material is used on the outside of the buildings like outside curtains. I would think that the colors would fade quickly

( *** Hmmm.. very observant of u happy.gif *** )

Your group of photos of the mountains, lakes and clouds were breath taking. I really like the one following the caption Reflections. It has the look of an erupting volcano with smoke coming from the cone. Speaking of cones did you buy any incense? How do you burn the powdered kind? Ive never seen incense like that before.

( *** I did not buy any incense but I assume they use charcoal to burn them. ***)

3000 photos??? And how many days was this visit? Another weekend? Its all amazing you captured the essence of the people, their temperaments and their country very well. From reading your story I became curious about where the Lhasa Apso dog breed originated. According to Wikipedia, It was bred as an interior sentinel in the Buddhist monasteries who alerted the monks to any intruders who entered. The breeds name is taken for the city and a Tibetan word combined to mean long-haired Tibetan dog. Ahh all so interesting - Drinking my evening tea as I read your letter.

( *** This trip took 9 days ex Kuala Lumpur. A lot of time was spent getting to Lhasa ( I had to fly to Chengdu first and spend the night there ) so most of the photos I posted were taken over a 5 day period. The Lhasa Apso dog is soooo cute. I did not see any but I saw a few Tibetan Mastiffs. Would love to own one but I think the weather in Malaysia is not suitable. *** )

Fondly,

Helen

BTW Is that you in the baby blue sweat shirt with the black and white polka dot hat and black gloves? How cool!

( *** The lady in the polka dot hat is working at Potala Palace and she is in charge of checking our passports happy.gif You can see two photos of me in Part 3 I am posing with the baby ox in Gyantse and I made friends with a cute Yak at Yamdrok Lake. Funny story how I got round to buying the Tibetan outfit. It was a hot day in Tibet and I wore my tshirt and shorts for my day of sightseeing. The driver stopped along the roadside in Gyantse where we could take photos of Kumbum monastery. I started taking photos of passerbys and this farmer lady gave me a dirty look and started stroking cheek with her index finger and looked down at my legs. Other than shorts, I did not have any clean clothing which is decent by Tibetan standards, so as soon as we got into town, I ran into the first clothing store I saw. This is the first time I have been shamed into buying a dress !!!!! *** )

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page