Return to Index  

Is it as safe as you think?

September 11 2011 at 1:26 PM
ED-209  (Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

I travel quite a bit for work and vacation, and spend a lot in a hotel room. I usually travel as light as possible and also with very few valuables mainly being wrist watch which I wear with me. So there's no real need for me to use the in-room safe.
Anyway, I was traveling on business recently and one of my colleagues accidentally forgot her password and locked her necklace in the in-room safe. While we were waiting for the hotel maintenance/engineering staff to come up and open it, we were goofing around on the internet to see if we can find a way to open the safe.

Lo and behold we came up this video where it shows the default password:
http://www.gadling.com/2011/09/06/your-hotel-room-safe-not-as-safe-as-you-think/?ncid=webmail4

So what do you think? Does it make you wonder why it's almost universal to have a default password like this? Anyone want to do a quick test on your next trip to see if it's similar to the in-room safe in the hotel that you're staying?

Oh, and if think the default password is bad, check out this video on youtube where you can open it in 60 seconds with a paperclip :0

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page