<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

LiL’s Adventures in Tibet – Part 3 – The residents of Tibet

August 8 2010 at 8:05 AM

LiL  (Login LiL888)

Tibetans share their region with Menpa, Luopa, Han Chinese, Hui, Sherpa, and a few Deng people however Tibetans are the main inhabitants on the plateau.

[linked image]

Clockwise from top left :
1. Boys spinning sheep wool
2. Man with sheep wool
3. Farmers
4. Passerbys

Tibetans are optimistic and happy people.

[linked image]

Clockwise from top left
1. Ladies selling turnips
2. Man with daughter
3. Pilgrims at Tashilhunpo Monastery

Traditionally, farmers settled in small villages with barley as their main crop.

[linked image]

1. Lady selling turnips
2. What a heavy load
3. Farmer
4. Construction worker

The roaming nomads earned their living by herding yaks and sheep. Most Tibetans in cities made a living as craftsmen. However, nowadays more and more people are migrating into businesses.

[linked image]

Anticlockwise from top left
1. Tibetan tour guide
2. Pilgrim at Jokhang temple
3 and 4. Visitors at Tashilhumpo monastery

[linked image]

The children were amazing. Unlike other places in China, they were more than willing to pose for photos. I made sure i had lots of cookies in my pocket to share with them

[linked image]

Some of the rural kids were unkempt

[linked image]

Snot on nose, i was informed that they shower once every few weeks or months.

[linked image]

Urban kids i met had a higher standard of hygiene

[linked image]

The children were generally friendly and welcomed us tourists with engaging smiles

[linked image]

And some had responsibilities from such a tender age such as gatekeeper

[linked image]

Able to driver horse carts

[linked image]

Religious life

[linked image]

Apart from the human residents, we also saw lots of non human residents of Tibet. Goats were a plenty

[linked image]

Have to look out for them when driving coz they do not bother to look out for vehicles when they want to cross the road !

[linked image]

Cows and ox are decorated with tassles so their owners can easily identify em.

[linked image]

Baby ox - soooo cute

[linked image]

We saw Yaks EVERYWHERE. Yaks are herd animals and have long shaggy hair to insulate them from the cold.

[linked image]

Clockwise from top left :
1. Yak pens
2. Yaks are sure footed and able to climb hills
3. Don't look down
4. Close up of yak pen

Some prefer to graze alone

[linked image]

Yaks are such useful animals. Apart from being a trusty companion, yaks can be used to transport your belongings

[linked image]

Their meat can feed a whole family over many weeks

[linked image]

Very popular amongst the locals even though the taste is a bit too gamey for my liking

[linked image]

Dried yak meat is a great souvenier to bring back for your friends

[linked image]

And if you have always wanted to ride a yak.. quick book your flight to Lhasa. There is no better time than now to visit this exotic country.

[linked image]

( Please note that some of the text has been lifted off other articles on the Internet but the photos are all original. The opinions expressed here are based on my personal experience )

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Patrick_y
(no login)

Impressive trip!

August 8 2010, 7:51 PM 

Thank you for sharing your photos of Tibet, its people, its mountains, its cities, its food, and even its animals!

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: Impressive trip!

August 8 2010, 8:09 PM 

Hiii Patrick

Thanks for viewing. Should be posting part 4 ( final installment in this series ) by today happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Ling
(Login hkling)
AP Discussion Group

What an experience!

August 9 2010, 12:12 AM 

Liling,

I know you enjoy the trip in Tibet very much. Nice photos as always.

Thanks a lot for the rural unkempt kids photos. I show them to my children. Now, they understand what is tough life to some extent. I told them I wanted to bring them to the rural area in Tibet for holiday instead of Disneyland. They (now 6 and 4)protested profusely.

You are right. Most of the Tibetans are contended and happy in their lives. They don't need expensive watches and fine wines to cherish their simple lives.

Regards
Ling

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: What an experience!

August 9 2010, 2:08 AM 

Hiii Ling..

I fear it won't be long before Tibetans themselves prefer to goto Disneyland instead of making a trip to the rural area. Ahhh, the trappings of modern life. I confess i also cannot imagine a life for myself where there are no fine dining restaurants, fine watches, cable tv and a comfortable bed to come home to.

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

So...how do the visas work? And what about the Chinese Invasion?

August 11 2010, 10:43 AM 

As Tibet has been occupied by the invading Chnese forces these past decades, does that mean that you have to apply to Beijing rather than Lhasa for a tourist visa?

Tibet looks rich in culture and history but I really cannot understand what other riches were coveted by the Chinese, that they had to invade.  Its's not as if there is great demand for yak-meat in China. Did you get any sense of 'any sense' for the invasion? Were there industrial or mlitary resources that the Tibetans had hidden away under a spare goat or yak?

Regards, MTF

This message has been edited by MelvynTeillolFoo on Aug 11, 2010 10:52 AM

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

Part of the answer in Part 4; I see. (nt)

August 11 2010, 10:45 AM 

happy.gif

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: So...how do the visas work? And what about the Chinese Invasion?

August 11 2010, 9:40 PM 

I read somewhere that Tibet has lots of minerals. Better not comment further otherwise my future applications for China visa will be rejected. Hahahaha

Respond to this message   

Phil
(Login pp5120)
AP Discussion Group

love the faces...

August 23 2010, 11:36 AM 

all look warm and friendly...

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: love the faces...

August 24 2010, 7:31 AM 

Yes there were warm and friendly. Much friendlier than those that i have encountered on mainland china for sure

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page