<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

LiL’s and Needles’s Adventures in Port Dickson Malaysia

August 16 2010 at 8:09 PM

LiL  (Login LiL888)

Port Dickson or PD to locals, is a beach and holiday destination situated about 90 km from Kuala Lumpur. It is located in the state of Negeri Sembilan in Peninsular Malaysia. It takes just over an hour to travel by car along the North-South Expressway from Kuala Lumpur to Port Dickson.

Fasting month for Muslims started last week Wednesday. Most events and activities come to a halt during this period and feeling bored, we decided to spend a weekend in Port Dickson. If you do not like to compete with the crowds, Ramadhan is a good time to travel as the highways in Malaysia are relatively free of cars and resorts record low occupancy.

We started our journey around noon time on Saturday and passed Lukut town less than an hour later. Feeling famished, we popped into Lucky Seafood Restaurant which is just opposite the Chung Hua Lukut Primary School

[linked image]

to feast on their famous Curry Chicken Lucky King Bun. They bake the Chicken Curry inside the bread. I love how they slice the bread to shape it like flower petals. Eating bread with chicken curry is common in Malaysia but baking the curry inside the bread is not.

[linked image]

For those who have never been to Malaysia before, this is what a typical Chinese coffeeshop looks like.

[linked image]

Other than Curry Chicken flavour, they also serve Herbal Chicken and Sweet and Sour Crab bun. However, you need to place an order 48 hours in advance.

[linked image]

Feeling refreshed, we then continued our journey to Eagle Ranch Resort in Port Dickson. Accommodation wise, I have to say it is not a luxury resort. The resort however does have its charms.You can choose from a host of room categories such as

Bandwagon

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tepee

[linked image]

[linked image]

Larger sized rooms in the Paddock Chalet

[linked image]

And Kampung House ( Kampung = Village )

[linked image]

Most people however stay at Eagle Ranch Resort for the activities. They cater to individuals and large groups so this is a good place to organize your Management Outing or company trip. If you prefer more comfy place to sleep, you can book at room at the Avilion Resort which is just 10 minutes away because Eagle Ranch welcomes visitors to use their facilies ( for a price of course ) even if you are not staying overnight.

I mentioned in my previous photoessay that I recently adopted a albino hedgehog, Needles.

[linked image]

Darling Needles came to live with me 5 weeks ago, and he too needed a change of scenery from Kuala Lumpurs hustle bustle. Needles had lots of fun conquering the obstacle course at Eagle Ranch

[linked image]

We tested his balancing skills

[linked image]

His first time at the beach.

[linked image]

I give him a bath everyday and make him do his daily swim as hedgehogs tend to get obese from overeating and lack of activity. He put up a brave face when he got drenched by the waves

[linked image]

Needles enjoyed viewing the sunset at Port Dickson beach

[linked image]

Made friends with some of the fellow animals at the Resort such as Mr Horse

[linked image]

But was not too friendly with the resident black cat

[linked image]

Us homo sapiens also had a whale of a time playing Paintball

[linked image]

It was my first time playing Paintball and I was kind of deadweight to my team. I was afraid of getting bruised by the paintball shots and did not make an effort to grab the opponents flag. I did look kinda cute in the protective gear didnt I ?

[linked image]

We occupied our time with other activities such as Canoeing

[linked image]

Archery

[linked image]

And horseriding

[linked image]

For a small fee you can also whizz around their GoKart circuit

[linked image]

Enjoy a pony ride

[linked image]

Or sun yourself at the swimming pool

[linked image]

Feeling tired from the days activities, we decided not to drive out and had our dinner at the Watering Hole restaurant on the Resort.

[linked image]

The restaurant serves both western food and local cuisine such as Kampung Fried Rice

[linked image]

Cantonese style noodles

[linked image]

The room rate comes with a buffet breakfast at their Melting Pot restaurant. The quality of the food is acceptable so long as you are not expecting Michelin star preparation.

[linked image]

Needles had a fun time running exploring the grounds

[linked image]

and poked his head in every nook and cranny

[linked image]

and soon it was time to say goodbye to Eagle Ranch Resort

[linked image]

Not ready to end our short vacation, we decided to pop into PD Ostrich Show Farm which is a ten minute drive from Eagle Ranch.

[linked image]

Typical of Malaysians, we headed straight to the cafeteria and ordered ourselves their signature dish, Ostrich Satay (skewered meat served with tangy peanut sauce and fresh cucumber - Malaysian version of the kebab )

[linked image]

Satay is cooked over a charcoal grill

[linked image]

Very reasonably priced

[linked image]

Needles enjoyed every bite

[linked image]

Did a bit of shopping at the gift shop whilst waiting for our Satay to cook

[linked image]

After eating our fill, we decided to explore the show farm and eventually made our way to the Ostrich Ride circuit. We were apprehensive about the safety aspects of riding the ostrich so the keepers gave us a demo. Instead of a saddle, they place a cloth towel on the ostrichs back so you wont feel ikky with the feathers poking your butt.

[linked image]

The keeper mounts himself with the help of the fence

[linked image]

3 seconds later, he is sitting comfortably on the back of the ostrich ! Easy as A B C !

[linked image]

One of the visitors decided to give it a go

[linked image]

Oopsss. He slipped off

[linked image]

He gives it another go and second time lucky !

[linked image]

So far the keepers claim to have a 100% safety record cause they are always there to assist the visitors.

[linked image]

For this bravado, visitors who ride the ostrich are rewarded with a Certificate

[linked image]

Photo opportunity for little boy on top of a ostrich

[linked image]

Ostriches have very large and sharp talon shaped feet. Due to the fact that the Ostrich are flightless birds, their primary means of locomotion is running, so the feet have developed into feet fit for frequent, and very fast running especially to escape predators.

[linked image]

There are many signages dotted around the farm to enlighten visitors on Ostrich FAQs

[linked image]

[linked image]

The Ostrich is the largest living species of bird and lays the largest egg of any living bird.

[linked image]

A female ostrich can determine her own eggs amongst others in a communal nest. I was shocked to discover that the shell of the ostrich eggs is strong it can bear the weight of an adult man

[linked image]

[linked image]

Needles wanted to have a go also

[linked image]

The following is a list of ostrich eggs facts:
An ostrich hen lays one egg every two day, from the middle of March till the middle of August.
In favorable conditions, an ostrich female can remain productive for 25-35 years.
Average incubation or hatching period of ostrich eggs is of 42 days.
The shell of the ostrich eggs is strong, and is 0.06 inches thick and can bear the weight of an adult man.
On an average, the weight of an ostrich egg is close to 1 kg.
The color of the ostrich eggs range from a pearl white to cream color.
Ostrich eggs are approximately 6-7 inches in length and 15-18 inches around.
If you are looking for nutrition facts for an ostrich egg, you will be surprised to know that it can provide a whopping 2000 calories.
Another ostrich egg fact is that the contents of the ostrich eggs in dry form contain 47% of proteins and 44.3% of fats.
The ostrich eggs also contains calcium, phosphorus and vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin E, riboflavin and thiamin.
Trace elements such as magnesium, manganese, selenium, zinc copper and iron are found to be present in the contents of the ostrich eggs.
Eggs laid by the elephant birds of Madagascar (now extinct) and the giant moa of New Zealand were bigger than that of the ostrich.

Apart from ostriches, the farm has other cute animals

[linked image]

Needles sniffing a grey rabbit

[linked image]

He did not want to go too near to the monkey

[linked image]

Or iguana

[linked image]

But he liked the pretty flowers on the farm

[linked image]

Needles is so adorable the kids cant take their hands off him

[linked image]

Well, he was exhausted after so much activity, he slept soundly the entire drive back to Kuala Lumpur.

[linked image]

He is now well rested and told me that he is ready for his next adventure, so please stay tuned for the next installment of LiLs and Needless Adventures in Malaysia happy.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DRMW
(Login DRMW)
AP Discussion Group

re: Port Dickinson Malaysia

August 16 2010, 9:19 PM 

Hello LiL,

Seems like you and Needles had a great time out there. Didn't know that ostrich can run that fast!

-MW

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: re: Port Dickinson Malaysia

August 16 2010, 9:24 PM 

Yes Needles loves fun and adventure and is a fabulous companion for his Mommy LiL. Did not know ostriches were that fast either.

Respond to this message   
Filip
(Login bimbeano)

Needless is soo funny !

August 17 2010, 3:53 AM 

Hi Lil,

Needless really stole my heart with this post, he's lucky to have you.

Just to say thank you for this (and all the other) great adventure-posts you put here!!!
There is an ostrich-farm just 5 miles from where i live, i think i should pay it a visit one time, looks great happy.gif ... .

Bye bye, and keep your posts coming, i think a lot of us Purists really enjoy readin/vieuwing them.

Filip

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: Needless is soo funny !

August 17 2010, 6:00 PM 

Hiii Filip..

Ah you have a ostrich farm near your house. Please ride on one and take photo to show us :o)And yes Needles is funny. He woke up this morning to see me off to work happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Ling
(Login hkling)
AP Discussion Group

NIce trip! Thanks Liling

August 17 2010, 5:52 AM 

I have been to PD for so many times. Didn't know there is such a resort.

I like the 3-seconds Ferrari. Will try that in my next trip.

Regards
Ling

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: NIce trip! Thanks Liling

August 17 2010, 6:18 PM 

Hiii Ling... Well i got to know about it coz they have a eye catching booth at the MATTA Travel Fair. If you buy a voucher worth RM$120 ( USD$35 ) during the fair, you are entitled to 1 night's stay and you can have a go at 4 activities. Is that a steal or what. We can organise a trip there for the Malaysian Purists and I will bring Needles and introduce him to all of you. Or bring your kids, they will enjoy it there. It is no Disneyland but they will be occupied with the numerous activities.

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

Malaysia travel adventures

August 17 2010, 8:31 AM 

Cool that you brought along a new travel companion, Needles. Whenever someone mentions hedgehog, I immediately think of that furry critter, Sonic the hedgehog from the video games. I thought these animals were blue and run really fast LOL.

You look great in the paintball 'battle armor'. Did all the guys get embarrassed when you shot them with paintball while wearing pink crocs on the field? happy.gif
The archery and gocart looks like a lot of fun too.

Thanks for sharing another amazing travel adventure!

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: Malaysia travel adventures

August 17 2010, 6:26 PM 

Unfortunately i can only bring Needles when i am travelling by road from KL. I wonder if i can slip him past customs so i can bring him into a plane. Those pesky xray machines will surely detect his presence. Hahahaha..

blush i doubt i actually shot anyone on the archery field. Nevermind i will go for secret training and next time i play paintball, i will be a terror on the field !!!!!

Respond to this message   

Phil
(Login pp5120)
AP Discussion Group

needles had an awesome time...

August 23 2010, 11:32 AM 

great post again...

were you accurate with your paintball gun?

Respond to this message   

LiL
(Login LiL888)

Re: needles had an awesome time...

August 24 2010, 7:36 AM 

Erm... the only way i could have been less of a burden to my team is if i had shot one of our own.. hahahah..

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page