Return to Index  

Having to buy a new car:opinions about Jaguar appreciated

November 21 2004 at 1:46 AM
Lutz  (Login ammererlutz)
AP Discussion Group

Hello all,

having frequented other forums,esp.the watch ones,before,I thought of asking for Your opinions too before deciding on a certain new car now.

Some informations in advance:

Having driven BMW for a long time(with good experiances most of the time) I bought an American car(I don`t mention the brand)last time,because I liked its design and interior and it was the ultimate catastrophy,an absolutely disastrous experiance with horrendous repair costs and engine failures of all imaginable and not imaginable -but always very costly- kinds,soon as the warranty had expired.
Well,probably I got a lemon,but this time I thought of asking one or two people more about the car I think of before buying it,therefore I am posting here.

Living in the snowy and mountainous regions of this planet,I need a 4-wheel driven car.It is no fun-car or holiday car,but the thing that drives me,when I am away on business(which sometimes also means climbing up and down our snowy mountains),so reliability is an essential point.

My first thoughts were the Audi-quattro line,as the BMW X3 and X5 are too bulky for me and I really don't like all these bulky off-roaders and cross country cars,no matter if German,British or Japanese.
But last week I had a look at the Jag X-Type(I think it was the 3.0 V6 Executive version) and definitely liked its interior better than the German ones.

On the other hand its rather small for a Jag,not so elegant as the classic XJ and S-Types.

Everyone talked about the notorious engine problems of old Jags some years ago,but as far as I heard their engines are much more reliable now.

But
1: HOW reliable are they today?
It belongs to the Ford company now,right?Who builds their engines(although I know this is of no importance,just being curious if they are built in Coventry,Taiwan or Detroit)?

2: As -in sharp contrast to watches- a new car MUST be resold after a relatively short time,resale value for cars is a very important point,so the phrase used for watches,"buy the one You like best",does not apply for cars.
How do You think does a Jag X Type perform compared to e.g.an Audi quattro? Probably this cannot be answered generally as there are huge differences in resale-prices in different countries (resale prices are very high e.g.in France and very low in the US as far as I know).

3. Finally,the whole car industry having more and more difficulties(almost-bankruptsies of Chrysler,Fiat,Mitsubushi etc)within the last years, especially the traditional British cars(be it Rover,Jag or even RR) are constantly rumored to be anihilated by their American or German mother-companies sooner or later.
Any insider knowledge about the future of Jag here?

any opinions would be very appreciated,
Lutz

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page