Having to buy a new car:opinions about Jaguar appreciatedNovember 21 2004 at 1:46 AM
|Lutz (Login ammererlutz)|
AP Discussion Group
having frequented other forums,esp.the watch ones,before,I thought of asking for Your opinions too before deciding on a certain new car now.
Some informations in advance:
Having driven BMW for a long time(with good experiances most of the time) I bought an American car(I don`t mention the brand)last time,because I liked its design and interior and it was the ultimate catastrophy,an absolutely disastrous experiance with horrendous repair costs and engine failures of all imaginable and not imaginable -but always very costly- kinds,soon as the warranty had expired.
Well,probably I got a lemon,but this time I thought of asking one or two people more about the car I think of before buying it,therefore I am posting here.
Living in the snowy and mountainous regions of this planet,I need a 4-wheel driven car.It is no fun-car or holiday car,but the thing that drives me,when I am away on business(which sometimes also means climbing up and down our snowy mountains),so reliability is an essential point.
My first thoughts were the Audi-quattro line,as the BMW X3 and X5 are too bulky for me and I really don't like all these bulky off-roaders and cross country cars,no matter if German,British or Japanese.
But last week I had a look at the Jag X-Type(I think it was the 3.0 V6 Executive version) and definitely liked its interior better than the German ones.
On the other hand its rather small for a Jag,not so elegant as the classic XJ and S-Types.
Everyone talked about the notorious engine problems of old Jags some years ago,but as far as I heard their engines are much more reliable now.
1: HOW reliable are they today?
It belongs to the Ford company now,right?Who builds their engines(although I know this is of no importance,just being curious if they are built in Coventry,Taiwan or Detroit)?
2: As -in sharp contrast to watches- a new car MUST be resold after a relatively short time,resale value for cars is a very important point,so the phrase used for watches,"buy the one You like best",does not apply for cars.
How do You think does a Jag X Type perform compared to e.g.an Audi quattro? Probably this cannot be answered generally as there are huge differences in resale-prices in different countries (resale prices are very high e.g.in France and very low in the US as far as I know).
3. Finally,the whole car industry having more and more difficulties(almost-bankruptsies of Chrysler,Fiat,Mitsubushi etc)within the last years, especially the traditional British cars(be it Rover,Jag or even RR) are constantly rumored to be anihilated by their American or German mother-companies sooner or later.
Any insider knowledge about the future of Jag here?
any opinions would be very appreciated,
- personal experience - amrx on Nov 21, 2004, 4:42 AM
- I also check out the - John Ireland on Nov 21, 2004, 11:41 AM
- I would also suggest ... - vksl on Nov 21, 2004, 10:57 PM
- My Jag experience > - MTF on Nov 22, 2004, 5:14 AM
- Have you looked at the new BMW 330xi? - cab0419 on Dec 5, 2004, 7:03 PM
- Get one of these instead - Richard Hatter on Dec 14, 2004, 7:21 AM