Return to Index  

Yes, times have changed drastically...

June 28 2011 at 7:51 AM
Dino  (Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Response to That was back in the days where

back then there were far fewer Mercedes (BMWs, Porsches, Audis, and other fine European cars) being produced per year. There were also far fewer dealers. My father bought a new 1975 BMW 530i (the original 5 series car) and the nearest dealer was 2 hours away!

Back in the 70's and even into the mid 80's in the city where I lived, it was special to see a high end European car. The only foreign cars that were seen with some frequency were old 240D diesel MBs, 2002 BMWs, MGs, and an occasional 914. Today, I take for granted how many MBs, BMWs, and Porsches I see in any given day and I live pretty close to where I grew up.

Yes, today's cars all depreciate, and quality is often questionable even in some of the finest cars. With all the latest car electronic drivers aids and how complicated cars have become it really should not surprise us that quality has dropped off from what it was. That and perhaps our expectations are higher now.

I remember reading an article years ago that said that in the 1970's Mercedes used a heavy gauge of leather, very fine woods, and other high quality materials that you would not find in cars of today. It said that the level of workmanship and the quality of materials used back then would be far too costly to use in a Mercedes today.

As much as I like some modern cars, I really like the Pre-1980 MBs, BMWs of the early 70s, and Porsche 911s from the 1960s through the late 80s. They all still feel like cars largely made by hand at much smaller factories. Today, robots and mass production have killed that feeling.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
Responses

ThePuristS.com Home Page