Return to Index  

Now I understand you...

July 5 2011 at 9:38 AM
Dino944  (Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Response to I think we're...

If we had owned some Jaguars, then I'm sure interior of a BMW 2500 would probably have seemed stark or unfinished. In the early 1980s my Dad did consider a Jaguar XJS, but one of his co-workers that owned a Jaguar convinced him not to get one.

Technology has changed the auto industry drastically. This goes for building techniques, costs, fuel consumption, horsepower, safety, etc. However, I can't help but feel that while many improvements are made each year, not all changes are for the better and some things are actually lost. I recently met an owner of a 1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (you'll see photos in my upcoming German Car Day Post). He had owned Porsches for many years. He started buing 911s in the 1980s and then he moved on to water cooled "911s." He had a 996, then a 996 Twin Turbo, and more recently some variation of the 997. His take on it was, the newer cars are very fast, have lots of horsepower, and many creature comforts. But they no longer feel like 911s. While, it is well understood that Porsche had to move on to water cooled cars, they have over engineered everything out of these cars that made them 911s. For those that did not like the old 911s quirky handling, odd ergonomics, and "patch work" ventilation, heating, ac systems, the newer cars are a welcome improvement. But not for this guy. He recently sold his 997 and searched until he found the right 930/911 Turbo. He said he just missed the way the 911/930s drove and felt on the road. He said the 997 is a great car, but that his 930/911 Turbo is a more satisfying experience.

Anyway, I think we do agree largely that the 6.9 was a very special automobile. With time we gain perspective and sometimes our tastes change. For a daily driver, I know I enjoy all the computer aided safety features, comfort features, and improvements in fuel economy that come with a modern car. But if one has room for a weekend fun car, sometimes one from the past adds a little spice and entertainment to our usual diet of modern offerings.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page