Return to Index  

The Lancia Stratos HF Zero - The stuff of legends, Part 4

February 27 2012 at 11:42 PM
ED-209  (Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

Response to Sculpture in Motion: Masterpieces of Italian Designs, Petersen Auto Museum

After being towed through the top level parking structure and into the staging area, the Lancia Stratos HF Zero was manually rolled to the front of the exhibit area. Take a look at this video of the team moving the car into position. At the 1:00 mark of the video you can see the seating position and how the driver lifts up the forward tilting steering wheel to exit the car out the front windshield.

GoJak Faster Caster System vehicle dollies were used on all four wheels to efficiently move the car in precise areas. I think these are one of the most useful tools in a car collectors garage since it allows you to easily move a heavy car into the correct position. I can't imagine using a regular jack to prop up each wheel. These GoJaks makes the task so much easier. Even on inclines (like a spiral parking ramp) the GoJaks provided total control of positioning the car.

Once the Lancia Stratos HF Zero was positioned on the platform there was still plenty of work that needed to be completed to make the car look it's best. For example, the raised platform was covered with protective plastic and paper to keep the ultra white painted color. This was removed and was touched up carefully to remove any final smudges on the paint. The 7 Transportation Team also provides detail services to the Petersen Automotive Museum and carefully polished the car to remove any fingerprints and light dust from the coast to coast transport of the Zero. And finally the art director of the museum positioned the lighting to show off the Zero.
[linked image]

[linked image]

Did you notice the text in the sign for the Lancia Stratos HF Zero? It's part of The PuristS Collection!
[linked image]

And how low is 33 inches? Well let's take a quick look around the neighbors of the Zero. Here's another iconic sports car The DeLorean DMC-12. Even on the platform the Zero is about the same height of a full size DeLorean!
[linked image]

An interesting side note: during the positioning of the Zero the exhibit was closed off to the general public but anyone walking by can peek into the area. So there was one car enthusiast that was watching us move the Zero and then finally asked 'Isn't the DeLorean an American car? Why is it part of an Italian display? And was it considered Italian because this particular model was a limited edition?". Well the answer is that the body design of the DeLorean DMC-12 was made by Giorgetto Giugiaro of Ital Design. And the exhibit was to celebrate the Italian designers influence on automobiles throughout time.

And last but not least I'd like to share a video of the rear of the Lancia Stratos HF Zero. I love the design of the slightly off centered dual exhaust system with the transmission case showing in the centerline of the bottom of the car. And a futuristic tail light system way before it's time that probably influenced the current cars being produced today with LED lighting systems. The rear lights are a strip of 84 small light bulbs laid out along the perimeter of the tail end of the car. When the turn signals are activated the rear is lit up in sequence outwards. It's a little hard to explain so I made this video of the turn signals.

I hope you all enjoy this report on the lengendary Lancia Stratos HF Zero. It was certainly a pleasure for me to have such a close up and personal experience with one of the most influential sports car prototypes ever made. Thanks to everyone at the Petersen Automotive Museum tech team for their time and patience in hosting this event with us, to the '7' Transportation team for their hard work and dedication, and Mr. Leslie Kendall and his assistant for leading us around the museum. And of course to the elusive Wandering PuristS for inviting me to attend this special event.
Let me know if you have a chance to see the exhibit because the Zero is an amazing car that you have to see in person.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page