<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

In honor of the Parmigiani Bugatti Type 370 watch - A few Bugatti car pics

October 18 2004 at 1:58 PM
Steven Walker  (no login)

Photos: Coronado Festival of Speed, Oct. 9 - 10, 2004 © Steven Walker 2004

Car #12 - 1927 Bugatti Type 35B Gran Prix Race Car, owned and driven by Bill Lyon

Car #12 - 1926 Bugatti Type 37 Gran Prix Race Car, owned and driven by Don Stephan

Photo: Newport Coast Concours © Steven Walker 2003

1929 Bugatti Type 46 de Villars Cabriolet engine, owned and shown by Peter Mullin

Best regards,

Steven

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JGV
(no login)

Isn't that Bugatti type 46 over-restored?...

October 18 2004, 2:58 PM 

I can't believe that that type 46 ever left the factory with that kind of 'engine finishing'.
I personnaly think the type 35B is a little to 'shiny' as well (I feel that if a car is restored than it should be restored to original condition, and not beyond that).
Your opinion on this matter?

Thanks for the nice pics,
Joram

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login jjd1946)
Trading Zone

Vandalism

October 18 2004, 9:45 PM 

I absolutely agree with you Joram.That thing could have a V.W. motor in it.
Once the patina is gone much of the history is lost and that can never be regained.
It's rather like stripping the original finish from a Queene Anne chest on chest or repainting the face of a tall case clock.Much of the beauty is in the faded paint and cracked leather.It speaks of wars fought,won and lost, of heroric drives and drivers.It tells us of a time before run off areas or sand traps,of men who risked all for love not money.
That horrible mirrored shined grille speaks more of our time then theirs and mores the pity.

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login jjd1946)
Trading Zone

Steve

October 18 2004, 9:56 PM 

My comments are aimed at the over restoration not your great photos.I'll say it again,if you can, keep them coming!

Respond to this message   
Steven Walker
(no login)

I have to disagree, to some extent

October 19 2004, 2:15 AM 

We have no way of knowing what the condition of the Type 46 was before restoration. It might literally have been a rusting hulk, or a pile of parts. I agree that to take a well-preserved, largely original, nicely-patined car, and restore it to as-new condition is tantamount to sacrilege, but this is seldom done these days.

As much as I can sympathise with your views, the comparison vs other antiques just isn't born out in the market.

A restored Chippendale might be worth 25% that of a well-preserved original. A restored Bugatti Type 35 might be worth 200-300% that of a well-preserved original. ( one without any serious racing or ownership provenance )

Best regards,

Steven

Respond to this message   

Jim
(Login jjd1946)
Trading Zone

Half Way

October 19 2004, 10:55 PM 

stevan
OK,I'll meet you half way but remember these were race cars which were crashed and crashed again.They would never lavish that level of polish on something that was liable to come back with a large hole in the block and a driver swearing he never over reved it.
On the matter of paint, they simply lacked the current material technolegy. The cars were,of course, blue but not blue with a clear coat.
On the matter of turning,you are completely right.It was a commen decoration.
It reminds me of the cowboy who when asked his horses name replied"never name something you might have to eat" I've had to eat a lot of them;but thats another story.

Respond to this message   
Steven Walker
(no login)

The Type 46 'Petite Royale' was a luxurious road car (like many other Bugattis) >

October 20 2004, 11:34 AM 

Respond to this message   
Steven Walker
(no login)

The engines did have that disctinctive decorative finishing..

October 19 2004, 2:00 AM 

called 'scraping'. A restoration like that on the Type 46 attempts to duplicate the condition of the car on the day it left the factory, before any use. The owners and restorers of the 'show' competition cars go to amazing lengths to replicate things like the weaving on the plug wires, hoses, wiring - virtually everything - exactly. If it appears on this Type 46, it appeared on the original.

http://www.leydonrestorations.com/Zwords/92PurSang/92pursang.html

Best regards,

Steven

Respond to this message   
JGV
(no login)

Thanks! nt.

October 19 2004, 2:30 AM 

nt.

Respond to this message   
richardo
(no login)

Re: Isn't that Bugatti type 46 over-restored?...

December 8 2004, 1:49 AM 

It would look better with Geneva stripes.

Respond to this message   

Andrew H
(Login 219)
AP Discussion Group

My God what a beautiful car. Thanks for the pics. nt.

October 23 2004, 10:13 PM 

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page