<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Having to buy a new car:opinions about Jaguar appreciated

November 21 2004 at 1:46 AM
Lutz  (Login ammererlutz)
AP Discussion Group

Hello all,

having frequented other forums,esp.the watch ones,before,I thought of asking for Your opinions too before deciding on a certain new car now.

Some informations in advance:

Having driven BMW for a long time(with good experiances most of the time) I bought an American car(I don`t mention the brand)last time,because I liked its design and interior and it was the ultimate catastrophy,an absolutely disastrous experiance with horrendous repair costs and engine failures of all imaginable and not imaginable -but always very costly- kinds,soon as the warranty had expired.
Well,probably I got a lemon,but this time I thought of asking one or two people more about the car I think of before buying it,therefore I am posting here.

Living in the snowy and mountainous regions of this planet,I need a 4-wheel driven car.It is no fun-car or holiday car,but the thing that drives me,when I am away on business(which sometimes also means climbing up and down our snowy mountains),so reliability is an essential point.

My first thoughts were the Audi-quattro line,as the BMW X3 and X5 are too bulky for me and I really don't like all these bulky off-roaders and cross country cars,no matter if German,British or Japanese.
But last week I had a look at the Jag X-Type(I think it was the 3.0 V6 Executive version) and definitely liked its interior better than the German ones.

On the other hand its rather small for a Jag,not so elegant as the classic XJ and S-Types.

Everyone talked about the notorious engine problems of old Jags some years ago,but as far as I heard their engines are much more reliable now.

But
1: HOW reliable are they today?
It belongs to the Ford company now,right?Who builds their engines(although I know this is of no importance,just being curious if they are built in Coventry,Taiwan or Detroit)?

2: As -in sharp contrast to watches- a new car MUST be resold after a relatively short time,resale value for cars is a very important point,so the phrase used for watches,"buy the one You like best",does not apply for cars.
How do You think does a Jag X Type perform compared to e.g.an Audi quattro? Probably this cannot be answered generally as there are huge differences in resale-prices in different countries (resale prices are very high e.g.in France and very low in the US as far as I know).

3. Finally,the whole car industry having more and more difficulties(almost-bankruptsies of Chrysler,Fiat,Mitsubushi etc)within the last years, especially the traditional British cars(be it Rover,Jag or even RR) are constantly rumored to be anihilated by their American or German mother-companies sooner or later.
Any insider knowledge about the future of Jag here?

any opinions would be very appreciated,
Lutz

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
amrx
(Login amrx)

personal experience

November 21 2004, 4:42 AM 

I have a 2003 Audi Allroad. For AWD automobiles I think Audi has the most experience. The Allroad quality has been up to that of 7 previously owned Toyota and Lexus' I've owned; nothing but routine service needed. Jaguar X type has not been a success in USA.

Respond to this message   

John Ireland
(Login figcar)

I also check out the

November 21 2004, 11:41 AM 

Accura and Infiniti AWD sedans. The Audi 1.8t engine is about to be replaced with a new 2.0t that will be both sporting and great in quattro drive...so w/ Audi 1.8 I'd wait...or go fot the V6. I'd look at the Saab AWD and also Volvo too before deciding. If you want good interior room (better than a 3 series BMW or Audi A4 or Jag...but don't want to get into SUV size...my last thought would be a VW Passat w/ AWD (4Motion is their name for what is basically Audi Quattro). They can be dressed up very nicely and also give good value now and when you resell.
John

Respond to this message   
vksl
(no login)

I would also suggest ...

November 21 2004, 10:57 PM 

the new Acura 3.5RL/Honda Legend especially if you are after reliability, not to mention its award winning AWD system.

Respond to this message   

MTF
(Login MelvynTeillolFoo)
AP Moderators

My Jag experience >

November 22 2004, 5:14 AM 

Lutz,

Recently I bought and sold this Jaguar within 7 months due to moving to another continent - ouch!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=225162&messageid=1068909463

A number of small but irritating faults, mostly after-sales service and minor recall for transmission re-programming. Otherwise, for sheer oomph and as they used to say, "Pace with Grace!" , the car itself was mighty fine.

Its not a 4-WD and neither is the Jaguar X-series so I am a little confused why you are looking at Jag in your snow-filled region?

Regards,

MTF

Respond to this message   
lutz
(no login)

the 2.5 and 3.0,of the X-type definitely are 4 WD,the major problem for me now

November 22 2004, 9:04 AM 

-especially after talking to one garage owner-is that a Jag has almost no resale value at all compared to a German car,second that no one knows what will happen to the company and if they will continue the X-type in future,if not,the car will be hardly saleable at all.
German cars have reasonably good resale value and the companies are very stable in their performance.
I shall talk to some other sec.hand car dealers soon and get their opinion,if a Jag is worth trying.

thanks,
lutz

Respond to this message   

cab0419
(Login cab0419)
PP Discussion Group

Have you looked at the new BMW 330xi?

December 5 2004, 7:03 PM 

Having had several 3 series BMWs during the past few years, this is the car I've been waiting for. It should give Audi a run for their money in the AWD category.

Chris

Respond to this message   
lutz
(no login)

could be interesting,I asked the dealer for it,

December 6 2004, 4:51 AM 

but it won`t be on the market here before April 2005,that is a bit too late for me,he only offered the X3 to me which is too bulky and IMO much too dear for what it offers(and a very disappointing cheap-looking interior for a >48k car).
thanks,
lutz

Respond to this message   

Richard Hatter
(Login amchk)

Get one of these instead

December 14 2004, 7:21 AM 

1991 850i under 60,ooo miles, full service history, very few around, no problems -touch wood, Jag's are everywhere...only a few of these in good nick around

Get so attached to them you form a club and meet every Sunday, in car parks

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page