<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Photos from 1st car show of the season...

May 7 2010 at 7:37 PM
Dino944  (Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Hey Guys,

Here are some photos from the 1st car show of the season that the Mrs. and I went to last weekend. The weather was fantastic and we enjoyed one of our first drives with the top down on our convertible. It was a blast. I hope to have our other fun car serviced and ready for spring/summer soon.

Hope you enjoy the photos.
Best regards,
Dino

A quick stop to lower the top before heading to the show.
[linked image]

The MRS. waiting while I took a photo.
[linked image]

Now for the show...in the background, 575 between the 328 and Mondial in the background is a rare Superamerica with rotating roof panel for open air motoring.
[linked image]

[linked image]

A rather rare F512M...approximately 75 came to the USA.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

A 250 PF Cabriolet
[linked image]

I love this car! Nothing like the curves on a 275GTB/4 !
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DRMW
(no login)

Beautiful 987!

May 7 2010, 8:01 PM 

Lots of great cars at the show & your boxster looks awesome, what did ya think of the Lambo?

-MW

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Thanks DRMW

May 8 2010, 8:26 AM 

Hi DRMW,

Thanks for the kind words about our Boxster RS60! We considered a Boxster S, Cayman S, and a Lotus Elise. I liked the Lotus Elise a lot. But dealers are very few (no independent service shops near us) and the 2 nearest dealers are each about 100 miles away. My other concern with the Lotus was that of 2 people I know that have/had them, one said he found it too harsh to enjoy for anything other than track days and sold it after 4 months and replaced it with a Cayman S, and the other guy (who still has his Lotus) said if he had to replace his Elise, he would get a Cayman S. Also, I'm just not sure how much I liked the idea of a Toyota engine...yes reliable and hopefully inexpensive to run, but still a bit like buying an Audemars Royal Oak with an ETA movement. I haven't totally given up on the idea of a Lotus at some point. But our Boxster is an absolute blast! Its our first convertible and it has tons of goodies I might not have considered, so now if I ever spec'd a Boxster or Cayman I know that I'd definitely want the Sport Exhaust (love it), 19" wheels, Active Suspension, and Sport Seats. Its also a car we would probably be more comfortable driving and putting more miles on (we already have one garage queen and wanted something very useable).

As for the show, the Murcie just did not do anything for me. The engine sounds great, but this example was not my taste. I really disliked the paint scheme, I don't like black wheels, and the wing looks like a terrible afterthought. It unfortunately looks a lot like the rear wings I see people put on Honda Civics etc. I know dealers say Lamborghini owners like high attention colors like orange, yellow and lime green, but if I were spec'ing a Murcie, it would be either pearl white, black, or silver. There was also a F430 with a matt black paint scheme that was hideous. It looked as though a bunch of teenagers vandalized it with a few cans of Rustoleum spray paint!

As for Lamborghinis, I really like their vintage cars such as the Miura, Countach, Silhoutte, Islero, and Diablo if its been out of production long enough to be considered vintage? For modern cars, I probably prefer the Gallardo over the Murcie. I think the Murcie is maybe prettier but so darn heavy (even in looks). Still the sound of that 12 is amazing!

The cars that really called to me were the 275GTB/4, a Daytona (that was leaving about the time I arrived), the 355s, 328s, and the Dino. The 430s are nice cars and are amazingly quick but from some angles they are a bit odd looking. Even a friend of mine that has one and adores it says he finds its not a very pretty Ferrari from some angles.

I look forward to the next car show.
Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   

DRMW
(Login DRMW)
AP Discussion Group

IMO...

May 9 2010, 1:03 PM 

Hello Dino!

IMO, the Cayman is one of the nicest car design in the Porsche line. I considered getting one but I really like the new Dodge Challenger.

I just met up with a friend and drove around the famous Mulholland Drive to check out his Diablo. The sound of a Lambo engine is just so sweet.

For the F-cars, do you like the 430 or 360 better?

-MW

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

430 vs 360...

May 10 2010, 9:05 AM 

From an appreance perspective, I like the interior and back half of the 360 more than the 430. But I prefer the 430 front end which looks sharper and more aggressive. I've heard some people describe the 360 nose as resembling a yoke for cattle/oxen! However, I find the back of the 430 looks too heavy and awkward. Even my friend who adores his 430 has said the 430 is a great car, but its not a very pretty Ferrari.

I think the exhaust note and performance package of the 430 seems to be a significant leap forward from the 360. I'm just sad that with fewer people opting for a manual transmission each year, it appears that the 430 was the swan song for manual transmissions in Ferraris. Sure computers can shift faster than people and match revs perfectly, but at some level for me at least, I start to feel more like a passenger than a driver.

I love the sound and feeling of the F cars, but if money were no object I'd probably be shopping for vintage Ferraris. Although, maybe I'd get a new 458 Italia for the heck of it...(so far I like its looks more than the 430 and its supposed to be very impressive on the road).

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
ED-209
(Login EDW209)
AP Discussion Group

1st car show of the season

May 13 2010, 8:19 PM 

Excellent pics! Very nice collection of vintage Ferrari's. But I agree with you, that wing on the Murcialago looks horrendous. Reminds me of those rice rocket Honda's that have offcentered attached wings with fake carbon. Anyway, thanks for sharing the pics and looking forward to the next car show.

Regards,
ED-209

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

I would expect the following shows to be better...

May 14 2010, 7:16 AM 

with a much stronger turn out. Here in the northeast many people are still getting the exotics out of storage and getting their spring season services done.

Here is a photo of one heading off to its spring "spa treatment" for new fluids and and ignition switch. Hope you enjoy.
Best regards,
Dino

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
SALMAN
(Login SALMANQ8)
AP Discussion Group

Great Post and Pics, really enjoyed them, thank you :-) nt

May 20 2010, 6:10 AM 

nt

Respond to this message   
shochu
(no login)

Ditto, as always.. Salman, how's the G of yours doing? nt

June 24 2011, 5:34 PM 

nt

Respond to this message   
JohnLy
(no login)

auto shows

June 24 2011, 4:19 AM 

Hi Dino,
I live in the North East can you share with me where some of these shows are held?
Thanks
John

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Hi John

June 24 2011, 7:47 AM 

Hi John,

If I'm not mistaken you are in NH? I think there may be a few in NH, but I generally don't venture that far north.

Most shows I've gone to are in MA or RI. The photos from last year were taken at Ferrari/Maserati of New England. They used to do something 1 Saturday per month. I don't know if that will be the same or not, since ownership of Ferrari/Maserati of New England recently changed hands. Check their website under owners/events.

There is also a large car dealer in MA that has some kind of cars & coffee gatherings. Each month its held at one of their various dealers during the summer, Porsche, BMW, and a Lexus. I don't know if mentioning the dealer is too commercial so I won't post the name here.

In addition, the Larz Anderson Musuem of Transportation has a variety of shows through out the summer. Check their website for "Lawn Events." They just had German Car Day last Sunday. I took lots of photos, but have not had time to upload them. I will share them soon. They also have a beautiful Aston Martin DB5, Ferrari 275GTB/4, Jaguar E-Type, and Bizzarini indoors and on display. If you like Italian Exotic cars be sure to go to their Tutto Italiano show. It's always the 1st Sunday of August. Its supposedly the largest exotic car show in the North East.

There are often some car show in Newport RI. Unfortunately, you missed the Newport Concours, which was at the end of May.

I would suggest you check some of the regional sections of some of your favorite brand enthusiast websites. I've actually made some friends through some of them and usually at least once a month we get the cars out and meet up on a Sunday for coffee and to chat cars. Our get togethers are in Southern, MA.

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional info.
Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

NE auto shows

June 25 2011, 4:33 AM 

Dino,
Thanks for the helpful information. When younger I had a love affair for classic cars, and now with more time on my hands find myself getting the itch all over again.
Hopefully we will meet at one of the shows.
John
Yes I am from NH.

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

N.E. Auto Shows...

June 25 2011, 7:15 PM 

Hi John,

There is nothing like being around some beautiful classic cars. I'll often pop into my local independent Ferrari service shop, just to view some beautiful "Italian sculptures" and breath in the intoxicating scent of vintage leather interiors, warm motor oil, and exhaust fumes. There is a fairly large exotic auto show in Merrimack, NH on August 20, 2011. You might want to check it out. Its called the North East Exotic Car show. A few friends of mine went a year or two ago and had fun. I was able to pull up info on it just doing an internet search for "exotic car show new hampshire." I don't want to say more as I don't know if that would be too commercial and a violation of the terms on this forum.

Best regards and I hope to catch up with you at a show one of these days.
Dino

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page