<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ferrari FF

May 8 2011 at 9:18 AM

JerryW  (Login 9000000153)
AP Discussion Group

When I first saw pictures of the Ferrari FF I thought they were crazy. Now it is really growing on me. I think the front view is great and the sides are beginning to look much better. I have always like the 612 and 456.

What do you think?

JerryW

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

It's just not what I want in a Ferrari...

May 10 2011, 1:00 PM 

To me it looks like a BMW Z3/M3 Coupe mated with a Ferrari and this is its offspring. I know there have been attempts at hatch back/wagons that were custom jobs done on Daytonas and a few 456s, and sure there is the historic "Breadvan" of the 1960s...but to me the FF isn't really exotic or beautiful.

I do understand the company wanting to branch out and tap other markets (much like Porsche getting in SUVs and sedans). But to me the true essence of Ferraris are sports cars and GT cars that are a magical symphony to listen to, and they convey 2 people (yes I know about their 2+2s such as 250 GTEs, 330 2+2, 365GTC/4, Mondial, 456 etc) in stunningly beautiful body work. I'm sure the FF is great to listen to and no doubt it will be a great performer, but its sorely lacking in the looks department. Its simply not something I look at as rolling art work. It looks kind of sporty in a utilitarian way...I see its shape and I think Z3 M3 Coupe replacement ...not Ferrari.

Really, when one thinks of "dream cars" from Maranello, I would venture to say most of us think of 2 seater Ferraris such as the Daytona, the 250GTO, the 275GTB/4, Dinos, Boxers, TRs, 355s, and 458s etc. Those that consider a 250GTE, Mondial, or 612 as their dream cars are probably in the minority.

One tech at our local independant Ferrari shop said it would have made for a fantastic BMW...but he doesn't see it as appealing to Ferrari's core customer.

I really wish companies like Porsche and Ferrari would stick to what I've dreamed of and thought a Porsche or Ferrari should be, rather than branching out into what I don't want them to be..."Exotic Soccer Mom-mobiles."

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

Breadvan

May 11 2011, 6:08 PM 

I agree with your sentiments, Dino. Particularly the M3 Coupe looks of the FF.

I argued with myself happy.gif with using the word 'Breadvan' to refer to the FF as the Drogo 250 and Maserati 151/3 were exercises in aerodynamics, not the semi-shooting brake/hatchback/estate 'practicality' that the FF represents.

Sadly, I think the diversification of the like of Porsche etc is set to continue. I posted a graph over at PPro that shows the Cayenne accounting for 1/3 of Porsche's US volume...too much money to give up on to concentrate on the niches we love.

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Sadly...

May 12 2011, 10:51 AM 

its true that these companies will continue to branch out and offer products that are more practical and appeal to a broader audience as there is far more profit to be made if a company makes sedans, suvs, and vehicles with automatic transmissions or paddle shifters.

I recall back in the 1980s when I was with my parents at a Porsche dealership. During a discussion, the saleman mentioned they lost a lot of sales to Jaguar's XJS due to wive's that would say, "I can't drive a car with a manual transmission, and you aren't buying any car that I can't drive."

While I can appreciate the need for both progress in the auto industry and profits, I am saddened at the thought of no manual transmissions available on Ferraris, and Porsche building sedans and SUVs for "soccer Moms." I just don't care how great Porsche's SUV or Sedan may be...they do not interest me at all.

When I think of Porsches and Ferraris, I think of beautiful sports cars "THAT HAVE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS," and the joys of putting one through its paces on a beautiful stretch of road.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

Manual Transmissions

May 15 2011, 6:51 PM 

In complete concurrence here, Dino.
The dual-clutch boxes are a great bit of engineering, a very clever way to increase shift speed ( and some of the shift speeds are pretty astounding) but are they going to make me any faster? Doubt it. My limitations lie elsewhere!
Are they as fun as a good manual transmission? No and NO. Getting a gearchange just right, rowing down through the gears, heel-and-toeing, performing a precise double declutch...those are all lost with paddles. Additionally, these are all things that can be practiced and enjoyed whether on a nice open road or pootling through traffic.

Respond to this message   

ThomasM
(Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

I saw the car up close and personal in Shanghai...

May 13 2011, 3:04 PM 

several weeks ago.

Hi, Jerry,

Like the Panamera, I'm not sure I'll ever get past the "holy cow is that ugly" stage.

original.jpg

I didn't like the Diablo when it replaced the Countach, but I have come to love it as one of the most beautiful cars of all time, so initial opinions do change, but in this case, I find that hard to imagine.

I too love / loved the looks of the 456 - very classic, for the ages styling, if perhaps a bit ... low key.

The 612 ... somewhere in between, but it drives like a pig.

JMHO.

"A Purist does not believe in gilt by association. Respect, AND disdain, have to be earned..."

This message has been edited by thepurist178 on May 13, 2011 3:30 PM

Respond to this message   
AV Powell
(Login timeonmyhands)
AP Discussion Group

Like Dino and Thomas, my initial reaction to FF looks is whoa, but...

May 14 2011, 10:31 PM 

I also felt same way about the Panamera until test driving one in Monterey this past August.

Since then, every time I would see a Panamera from front on highway my first thought is what good looking new Ferrari did I just see until the back shows up. Over the past several months, I've begin to fall in love with its looks. Perhaps the 4-seat practically matched with driving performance makes it very sexy to me.

Can't figure out why that's appealing to me because my last 4 autos have two 2-door GTs and two 4-door sedans. Even though most of my driving is solo with no spouse and no kids, for a daily driver I now have an inexplicable desire for a 4-door with big punch and great handling.

So after 5,500 glorious miles in SLSC in 10 weeks, I still enjoy occasional ride in E350 and can't wait to my daughter's graduation from B-school so that I can justify trade-up to much higher performance 4-door and gift her the 350.

Notwithstanding strange FF appearance from the pictures I've seen with a kind of Citroen CX or Peugeot 505 beauty, you have to love the touted performance+handling/practicality ratio for an everyday stealth mobile, don't you?! An extended test drive would be fun.

Respond to this message   
SALMAN
(Login SALMANQ8)
AP Discussion Group

Post 355: I never like Ferraris when they are released

May 20 2011, 9:39 AM 

It takes me a good 4 to 6 years to begin to appreciate the design and look. I remember when the Modena first came out and I hated it, detested it, could not stand it but now I think it looks great. My taste and opinion are constantly evolving so I stopped taking them both seriously LoooL happy.gif

S

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

The 355 is the last of the classicaly beautiful Ferraris, however...

May 20 2011, 1:25 PM 

the best looking modern Ferrari IMHO is the 458 Italia. I wasn't thrilled with the looks of the 360 or 430. When the 458 photos were released I wasn't sure I liked it, but in person its really very attractive. In addition, it has tremendous performance to back up its looks and the Ferrari reputation. I was recently talking to the head technician at a Ferrari shop I go to, who had just returned from a Challenge race in which he and several other 430 Challenge car owners competed. He said, "The 458 was just amazing! It was so fast that when he and other drivers were on the track in their 430s and flat out and racing, it flew past them as though they were standing still."

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
SALMAN
(Login SALMANQ8)
AP Discussion Group

The 458 indeed is quite attractive..

May 21 2011, 10:16 AM 

and I am looking forward to the 458 Spider however a close friend of mine has a 430 Spider and the performance, feel, quality/finishing and sound are nothing short of amazing, as a fun/sporty machine to enjoy the weather in, the sound and the overal experience.

Track racing is fun I guess but I get bored of it quickly. Its a never ending cycle season after season. Life is too short.

S

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

Racing?

May 23 2011, 5:57 PM 

Salman, you find racing boring??

The preparation can be exhausting, it can empty your wallet and take over your life...but boring?

Perhaps it is time to change class?

Respond to this message   
SALMAN
(Login SALMANQ8)
AP Discussion Group

Competition...

May 24 2011, 2:16 AM 

bores me, its a state of mind I am in right now, it will pass

http://youtu.be/1k3n4u98K20?t=1m55s

S

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

What were you competing in?

May 24 2011, 9:21 PM 

I can understand the ennui. But most of the tiredsomeness of racing was to do with the hours spent, not racing, but prepping/planning/getting there.
Then again, I gave up for other reasons...

(For some reason that link won't hook up...)

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ThePuristS.com Home Page