<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Photos from the 2011 Newport Concours (Newport RI)

May 24 2011 at 4:29 AM
Dino944  (Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Hi Guys,

I recently attended the 2011 Newport Concours. There were some beautiful classics and a few newer vehicles brought by sponsors. My main interest has always been European sports cars so thats mainly what you will see in my photos. My time at the show was limited so I did not get a chance to photograph every car that was there. There were some lovely Alfas, Triumphs, MGs, Jags and other classics. Hope you enjoy them.
Best regards,
Dino

In the parking lot sits one ugly duckly that I fear will never turn into a "Swan."
The Qvale Mangusta. It as a venture between DeTomaso and Kjell Qvale. Maybe DeTomasso saw its photos and didn't want his name on it.
[linked image]

A face only a mother could love.
[linked image]

Thankfully, most of the cars at the show are prettier than the Qvale. Well most, I'm not sure I like this variation on Maserati's 3500 series. It seems a bit heavy handed in design.
[linked image]

[linked image]

A beautiful 1941 BMW 327
[linked image]

[linked image]

A Cord in coupe form. I had only ever seen them as convertibles. One of the earliest cars to have "pop up" headlamps.
[linked image]

One of the few BMW's I'd love to own someday a 3.0 coupe. I'd probably opt for the 3.0CSi (with fuel injection)...since I'm not going racing I don't think I'd need a CSL with Batmobile wing etc.
This is a 3.0CS that was modified by Alpina although I'm not sure when that was done.
[linked image]

[linked image]

A very pretty VW
[linked image]

Its cousin...
[linked image]

[linked image]

A Lola
[linked image]

A completely original 250 Pinifarina Cabriolet. This car proundly wore its battel scars, door dings, scratches and all, however once a Ferrari looks like this I'd prefer that it be restored.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Notice the "Flying B" as a hood ornament on this Bentley. Quite funny.
[linked image]

[linked image]

A beatiful example of an unrestored Ferrari 275GTS.
[linked image]

[linked image]

Always considered one of the prettiest Ferraris even if its not considered a Ferrari by some, the 246GTS Dino.
[linked image]

A stunning example of a 250 Pininfarina Cabriolet. This is from the days when there could be numerous variations a cars that were the same model. This one had side strakes not found on the silver example.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This was the first time I have seen a Saleen S7 in person. Unfortunately, IMHO it looks as "kit car-ish" in person as it did in magazines.
[linked image]

[linked image]

A prototype Maserati Sebring
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

A true show stopper. The Mercedes Benz 300SL "Gullwing"
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Backing up in the Gullwing.
[linked image]

Attempting to exit the vehicle, Wayne Carini. You may recognize him from his TV show. I don't know if mentioning the show by name is too commercial so I won't mention it. [linked image]

Another classic the 365GTS/4 "Daytona." One of 125 spyders made. I'm huge into originality, but I could not live with it in this color! The owner has several car dealership in the Northeast and made his original fortune in the copy business...hence his plate.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Seating for 3.
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

A modern beauty.
[linked image]

IMHO, the prettiest Ferrari since the 355. It looks even nicer in person than in photos.
[linked image]

Thanks for looking.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
SALMAN
(Login SALMANQ8)
AP Discussion Group

Awesome pics :-)

May 24 2011, 8:10 AM 

Really liked the Maserati Prototype Sebring, haven't seen that one before. Thanks for sharing.

S

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

+1

May 24 2011, 9:27 PM 

For some reason, even with the fussy details, that is such a striking car.

The Boranni wire wheels on the Daytona....hmmm.

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Of the Daytonas I've seen in recent years...

May 24 2011, 10:48 PM 

it seems most coupes are wearing the Cromadora 5 spoke star shaped wheels, while most Spyders seem to have Boranis for shows (and I've seen of some owners having a set of each).

At one point I was in love with the Spyder, but now I really like the looks of the coupe/Berlinetta.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

Berlinetta

May 25 2011, 7:02 PM 

Agree!
Actually, I'm not a big fan of any design that has had its roof cut off, so to speak. If it is designed that way from scratch, no problem.

I do prefer the early plexi nose/headlight styling though.

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

365GTB/4 Daytona

May 26 2011, 2:25 PM 

I was under the impression, the popup headlamp models were the US spec models (resulting from headlamp height requirement laws in the US) and plexi-head lamp models were for Europe or countries with less restrictive laws.

Generally, coupes that are later turned into convertibles lose some of their styling cues true beauty.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

Not sure.

May 26 2011, 8:53 PM 

I thought it was to do with the same law that meant that meant E-types, DSs, Spiders etc had their plexiglass covers removed for the US market?
Not sure. I'll do some digging on MVSS108

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

My understanding was headlight height. on the Daytonas...

June 5 2011, 4:33 PM 

but if you can come up with another reason I'd certainly be interested in learning it. Its my understanding that of the rought 1,200 Daytonas built approximately a little over 400 had plexi. As of this point in time some owners of each style have converted their cars to the other look, sometimes following an accident, other times just liking its looks.

I am not sure why the E-Types lost their covers, I heard rumours or concerns of them having water leak into them, fogging up and being less effective...not sure if thats true. However, It wasn't just in the USA that E-Types lost their headlamp covers. All E-Types world wide lost their covered lamps at the same time. Some brief research I did indicated that some of the last of the Series 1 cars, unofficially sometimes called the Series 1.5 cars, had open headlamps.

The Daytonas were released in 1968 after Jag had given up on covered headlamp E-Types. I'm not aware of the Ferraris having rumours of leaks or condensation in their plexi glassed cars. If you find some more definitive info regarding th reason for the different lamps let us know.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

More digging required...

June 5 2011, 11:30 PM 

Probably a mixture of both reasons on the E-type. The Series 1.5/2 had the US compliant interior as well as the lights rearranged and the engine uglified (S2), so it may have been part of that general upgrade. My guess for the pre1.5s having no plexi is the usual vaguaries/chaos of production. They probably had some new 1.5 bonnet shells hanging around while they were still building S1s, so on they went.

Not sure what drove the plexi change across all cars, either. All I can tell is that several cars seemed to have lost their covers around the same time. Since this would have been an easy change on something like a Duetto, it probably was US market only until the change was standardised on the next series.

Not sure whether the regulation specified height, glare inducement, standard headlight sizes (round, in 2 sizes...) etc etc? The US had (and has) some pretty strange Auto regulations.

I have a Jaguar-nut and general car-freak friend who also worked for some time at Hella...I'll interrogate him on this happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

I look forward to the additional information...

June 6 2011, 9:16 AM 

That your friend might be able to add to our discussion.

I have done a bit of research and based on the alleged leaking issues of Jag's covered E-Type lamps perhaps this paragraph explaines their switch to open lamps.

(6) After a humidity test conducted in accordance with paragraph
S8.7, the inside of the headlamp shall show no evidence of delamination
or moisture, fogging or condensation visible without magnification. From the code of Federal Regulations Title 49, Vol 5.

I don't think glare was much of an issue with the plexi glass Daytons noses. Some research into posts by actual Daytona owners, seems to indicate that the plexi models have really poor illumination of the road when using low beams and marginally adequate when using high beams. The pop up headlamps are supposedly a bit better on low, but still anyone that would run one of these cars flat out at night would easily "outrun" the useable headlamp beams path.

At this point I still think headlamp height was an issue, at least in the US for Daytonas (in 1969 there was a new required 24" headlight center to ground minimum). Some initial research showed that the front suspension was changed to raise the headlamps on Series 2 Lotus Europas to meet the "new" at the time required Federal Standards for headlamp height. I also found that some early Alfa GTV's had their front ends raised for the same reason. In addition, I found a brief blurb about Triumph's TR6s handling suffering as a result of its ride height being raised to meet headlamp height requirements.

If I have time this week, I will try to stop by our local Independent Ferrari Service Shop to talk to the owner/head tech about this issue. He has more than 40 years of experience working almost exclusively on Ferraris and often has 1 or 2 Daytonas on the premises.

Here are a few photos from the past
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

Interesting stuff, Dino.

June 6 2011, 5:23 PM 

Here's an extract from FMVSS regulation 108, effective date of January 1, 1968:

S7.8.5 When activated in a steady-burning state, headlamps shall not
have any styling ornament or other feature, such as a translucent cover
or grill, in front of the lens.

But I have to find the complete document....

No doubt the E-types leaked etc, but the 68 regs meant they retooled the bonnet shell.

Respond to this message   

JerryW
(Login 9000000153)
AP Discussion Group

Great cars.

May 24 2011, 4:25 PM 

Thanks for sharing.

JerryW

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page