<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

One of the rare times you meet your dream in person and she doesn't disappoint...

June 16 2011 at 11:51 PM

ThomasM  (Premier Login thepurist178)
AP Discussion Group

The Lancia Stratos HF Zero - the stuff of legends.

Along with the Alfa Romeo Carabo of 1968, the Lancia Stratos HF Zero is considered the fountainhead, the original inspiration, for many of the landmark production Supercars of the following decades.

original.jpg

There was a war brewing for design supremacy between the two global leaders in haute design for the very very tip top end of the automotive food chain - Pinifarina mostly tied to Ferrari, and Bertone tied to upstart Lamborghini and of course, Alfa Romeo for their most out there concept cars including the famous BAT studies.

Pininfarina took a marginal lead with their Modulo, based on a Ferrari chassis, which for a time was the lowest theoretically functional car design, at 93cm, or about 3 feet high.

Bertone fired back with this, the Lancia Stratos HF Zero, at 84cm (34 inches!)

original.jpg

A fully functional concept car with FULL metal work, based on a working chassis and Lancia Fulvia front and rear transaxles and drive train, it is widely considered the epitome of the wedge design school, a true icon even to this day.

How low is low?

original.jpg

HOW low is low?

original.jpg

How the heck do you get in and out? Easy...(and I can personally attest to that!)

original.jpg

original.jpg
Watch out for your head as you sit back on the chocolate bar heavily reclined seats!

original.jpg
This car gave new meaning to the phrase, "own it while you are lithe and agile enough to get in and out gracefully..."

original.jpg

yep, those seats are comfortable, even for two, and are SO comfortable I had someone offer to just sleep in the car and forget the hotel room...

happy.gif

(the steering wheel and column fold back in between the driver's legs once seated)

Where's the engine and how do you access it?
original.jpg
yes, that triangle is HEAVY and full metal...

original.jpg

The Stratos HF Zero is striking from all angles, some more beautiful than others, but visually stunning from all angles...

A true design icon, one that still has the WOW factor even today, 41 years later...the subject of dreams, and she doesn't disappoint...

Cheers,

TM

editor's note: she has gone from the home of her birth, a virgin, into very good hands, under the love and care of a true enthusiast, a Purist at heart...blissful serendipity...

"A Purist does not believe in gilt by association. Respect, AND disdain, have to be earned..."

This message has been edited by thepurist178 on Jun 16, 2011 11:54 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

DRMW
(Login DRMW)
AP Discussion Group

Re: One of the rare times you meet your dream in person and she doesn't disappoint...

June 17 2011, 12:36 AM 

"she has gone from the home of her birth, a virgin, into very good hands, under the love and care of a true enthusiast, a Purist at heart...blissful serendipity... "

Good to know this dream came to a happy ending. Thanks for the pics and I hope to see more of this icon.

-MW

Respond to this message   
Dino944
(Login Dino944)
AP Discussion Group

Its wonderful to see cars such as the Statos HF, Carabo etc are in good hands...

June 17 2011, 10:19 AM 

It used to make me cringe when I would see photos of old prototype Lamborghinis and Ferraris wasting away in back parking lots of the factories.

Its always fun to look at prototypes and see what design elements made it into the production vehicles. I definitely see the Stratos HF's rear wheel arch when I look at an early Countach...or the Carabo's scissor dooes and "mini window in a window" when looking at the Countach.

I can't imagine trying to get in and out of the Stratos HF. I think I'd need to practice doing the limbo backwards to get in. The seats look very futuristic and cool!

Thanks for sharing some photos of this iconic beauty and I'm glad she lived up to your dreams.

Best regards,
Dino

Respond to this message   

JerryW
(Login 9000000153)
AP Discussion Group

A front loader.

June 17 2011, 8:59 PM 

What a wild concept.

JerryW

Respond to this message   
BDLJ
(no login)

A dream of mine...

June 19 2011, 6:59 PM 

....to be able to climb into the Stratos Zero, pull the wheel back and pull the lid down. The actual driving...who cares, dynamically, I can't see the concept being all that great..nice fat a-pillars and near nil side visibility will see to that...but I'll repeat myself, who cares.

You write that the car has Fulvia 'front and rear transaxles and drive train'? Surely some mistake? happy.gif
The car has the FWD drive train from the Fulvia transplanted into the back, with the Fulvia front wishbones replaced by MacPherson struts - wishbones would mean no room for your legs

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page