<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

E vac tubes

July 16 2012 at 10:07 AM
  (Login blue470)
from IP address 184.57.98.81

I have bought the kits before and made my own, but my question is, why do they have to be angled? Why couldn`t they be installed straight in with no cut on the pipe? Just curious. It seems the same to me.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
tom
(Login boggerdodo)

Re: E vac tubes

July 16 2012, 11:28 AM 

i believe that the angle causes more of a vaccum affect than just having them mounted straight on the header and taking a chance on creating pressure in the engine

Anonymous
(Login blue470)

July 16 2012, 11:32 AM 

I was just wondering. I have seen some drag racers do some crazy things before like a pipe coming in with the tubes inthe center of the tubes, into the collector just past where the tubes meet.

(Login boggerdodo)

July 16 2012, 11:42 AM 

if i understand you correctly, they use all of the exhaust in the header by putting it just past the collector and using the speed of the exhaust to create a even greater vaccum

(Premier Login reddogracing)
Forum Owner

July 18 2012, 9:53 PM 

http://www.reddogracing.com/id18.htm

Something i started and never finished on the website. Some very very good engine builders coments are saved there. Read until your sick of hearing about header evacs.

Anonymous
(Login blue470)

July 19 2012, 7:34 PM 

thers alot of good information in there.thats why i was asking instead of cutting the pipe and angleing it in the collector cud i just put the pipe straight in the side and leave the pipe uncut. i see no difference. to me i thought it wud be the same concept as a vacuum port on a carb.

(Premier Login reddogracing)
Forum Owner

July 20 2012, 10:14 AM 

[linked image]

The problem that i see with installing them straight in, is that you have very little room for error. As you can see from the red lines, a very slight angle would allow exhaust to pressurize your engine versus vaccum.

Look at teh bottom of image. Installing at an angle, your room for error is greater, so it will be harder for air flow to pressurize.

I always cut pipe at angle and install at angle. And error to the side toward the engine, which means i would rather have more angle then less.

Now to really confuse things, if you have a chock point in the header/exhaust design, you could install a straight pipe, as you would then be working on venturi principle of increase velocity decrease pressure, just like a good old fasion carburator.

But I digress.

James
(Login bubba2400)

July 20 2012, 10:50 AM 

Don't run them unless they are put in and tested to make sure you have vacuum on them and it is not pressurizing the crank case. Usually they are not worth the effort to install.

James

BigChevyHitch.com
BadgerTruckPullers.com

Current Topic - E vac tubes  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index