Return to Index  

I've got an artical also i will be majorly updating my website

September 29 2003 at 10:25 PM
No score for this post
Mearia  (Login Mearia)

Response to Hey where is everybody?

I have a tune of news and new pix of him I just have to find the time to update my site so this is an interview... so you guys know i'm still here and that my web site will be 100x better then befor.HERES THE INTERVIEW....

"Third Rock From the Sun"? Joseph Gordon-Levitt is out of this world in his new movie "Manic," opening Friday, May 23.
The twentysomething who's 'tween fame and stardom after starring for six years in the cosmic sitcom as an alien nation of one may have found his home on film.
As a troubled youngster treated for manic behavior, Gordon-Levitt' s Lyle belies the belief that TV sitcom work can ruin an actor for anything serious.
Get serious -- and Gordon-Levitt does. The young Jewish gent is familiar with the sense of alienation that rocks Lyle's world. "Everybody is, " says the actor with a shrug.
As for the character's explosive behavior, shattering the solace he found with his family, "everybody gets angry. The difference between me and my character is that most of us can stop."
Stop if you've heard this one before: successful sitcom star gets spoiled and spends his time slumming in pretentious pictures.
Stop again. You won't hear that this time; Gordon-Levitt levitates "Manic." And off-screen, he is as sweet and soulful as his "Sun" character was scattered and scheming.
Despite the riches and rewards that can come from a successful run such as "Third Rock," Gordon-Levitt has no chip on his shoulder. The Woody Allen and Walt Disney film veteran is surprisingly down to earth, caring for those outside his particular orbit.
"Everybody knows someone in a [mental] hospital," says the actor of how mental illness inflicts its intolerable pain on so many. "Especially if you grew up a middle-class American, like I did."
His class act included pride in his Jewish cultural upbringing, and sadness, too, at the lamentable legacy that Judaism carries as a persistent pain. "It wasn't that long ago that I lost a huge portion of my extended family, murdered in Poland," he says of the Holocaust.
Though not religiously observant -- "My brother had a Bar Mitzvah, but I didn't" -- his body language betrays his sense and sensibility to his heritage. It is an unspoken connection that Jews share with other Jews, he says of the ineffable intimacy that people of a shared past can hear.
At least it's not Jewish gibberish -- unlike the alien angst emanating from the Solomon family of "Third Rock." And just why did that posse of outsiders pose as Jews, anyway?
"It was just arbitrary," he says with a laugh. "People would hear that their name was Solomon and think it sounded Jewish."
Making Solomonesque choices now can help determine future successes. And with its "very good script," and the examination of alienation of those peering in from society's parameters, "Manic" is mandatory viewing for those seeking meaning in their lives -- in and outside the theater.
"Movies are important to me," says the actor of those films that have seduced his soul, including "Dumbo," "Rain Man" and "Sling Blade."
All, it is pointed out, are about eternal outsiders.
"It's one of the oldest stories in the book," he says of "not fitting in."
"Manic" is a good fit for Gordon-Levitt, whose standout performance permeates the flick.
"I like good stories," he says of the role.
And that passes over into everyday life. "I especially like Passover seders because it is such a good story. And I enjoy saying the same syllables that my ancestors said [in prayers] for millennia."
He may be scripting a new chapter in his own nonsecular story soon. "One day, I'm sure I'll have my Bar Mitzvah," he says, noting that his mother celebrated her own Bat Mitzvah when in her early 40s.
Like the movies he seeks out to see and appear in, Gordon-Levitt has faith that that decision to beam himself up to a bimah will have its importance, too.
"I am looking for things that can be meaningful," says the onetime "Third Rock" actor, who's seeking his own constellation among the stars.
Elkin, Michael, He has a Mania for Good Works. , Jewish Exponent, 05-22-2003, pp p. 43.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• RE... - SELIN on Sep 30, 2003, 1:26 AM
  •  
Find more forums on CelebritiesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement