Oregon with pictures

by Crispy

To start with, Southern Oregon is absolutely beautiful. I am thinking about moving here in the near future.

So if you watched those videos, we camped at the bottom of the mountain in the Greyback Campground, about 7 miles as the crow flies from the cave monument and that trail. And let me tell you, that is 7 miles of one of the windiest roads I have been on in a long while! Here is the Little Greyback Creek we camped next to. It is mighty high from the snow runoff right now.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

I won't show you the sunbathing pictures as this is a family site.....Anyhow....

First night we had this little bugger intruding on us

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]]

I have some darn funny video of my Girl chasing him around the campground...but out of common decency I won't show that here. But it is funny!

After doing the cave tour, which is pretty cool - and yes - I hit my noggin three times in there, we had a quick picnic lunch and these guys are excellent beggars...

So off to the hiking. I watched that video a couple weeks ago, so when we got there I wasn't sure where he was on the trail. Now I am pretty sure he took the trail from the Visitors center to the big tree and around that way. We took it going the other way, from the cave exit back to the big tree and then the visitors center. Either way is cool. The hike is moderate - to stop and catch your breath while you knees buckle.. It starts at 4,000 feet at the visitors center and climbs to 5,100 feet at the highest point over the course of a mile or so. Where you see views like this..

My trusty and eagle eyed scout found this going across the trail. This was the only odd looking track we saw, but it is interesting. It had to have come from up the side of the mountain, where any other tracks would be impossible to find. And it was stopped apparently looking up the side of the mountain, at the edge of the trail, at who knows what. And where the other foot might have been....in more can't find a track stuff.

Hard to tell from the photo but there are definite toe imprints at the top. About 13" by 7" if I recall...hard to read them tape measures, and they kept falling over because of the angle of the trail.

In the video he describes hearing a low "whomp, whomp, whomp" sound. Shortly after taking those track pictures we started to hear the same kind of thing.

First it was ahead of us and up the mountain. Then it was behind us. Everywhere, yet no where.We heard it on and off for the next mile and a half. Then we got to the top of the mountain and to my surprise, there is still, in June, snow!

My trusty scout was not impressed with the Snowball sneak attack that hit her square in the back...and a mini war erupted...LOL The snow covered the trail in 3 areas, and judging from the imprints and what the rangers told us, no one had gone the whole trail in quite a while. Most folks take the shorter walk to the big tree. This is supposed to be the biggest Douglass Fir either in Oregon or the universe, I can't remember now...But here I am doing my impression of Don Don on New Years Day

Near the end of the hike we saw this carving

On the last leg of the hike, my scout stopped and said she just got a whiff of something foul. I smelled it as well, but is dissipated quickly. Then we heard the whomp's again. Here is a short snippet. You will need to put on them headphones as I recorded this on a little Sony Bloggy video camera. I just pointed it towards the sound to try to record it. I have more of this from earlier in the hike, but apparently I pointed the camera mostly at my trusty scouts rear end as we walked, and she doesn't want me to post that clip...LOL You can just make it oput in the background with them headphones turned up.

I have been going through the Critters of Oregon sounds trying to ID this.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/tnwoods/?action=viewĄt=004.mp4

If anyone can ID this sound I would appreciate it. I was thinking a bird, but I can't find anything that low and steady. Is a mystery...LOL

Beautiful country. I did find some brown bear tracks. That always makes me happy...LOL

Posted on Jun 19, 2011, 1:36 AM
from IP address 69.237.71.189

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Google

Web www.GCBRO.com