Screamerville Road...

by Monster Hunter

Actually Screamerville was one of the first settlements in NW Louisiana...a small village in Desoto Parish that disappeared over the years but the road, Screamerville, is still there...I've been up and down this dirt road more then several times...talked to more then several folks living on this road and not one knew how this small community now road got its name...

Here's the story...years back in the 1750's a small community was established...it received its name from the screams the people heard on a regular basis thinking large cats were the culprits...no one seemed to ever know exactly why these large cats screamed on a regular basis and to my knowledge, no written records, not one large cat was ever killed for evidence of a supposedly large population of the hairy screaming critters...and I do know large cats, cougars, are not really family oriented other then female raising cubs and then they travel within 10 to 100 miles for food, shelter, breeding etc...

There is a road that runs fairly close in proximity, within a few miles that I'll not mention, that has had Monsters reported being seen crossing the road, walking the creek reported by hunters, following a dairy hand walking to work early AM...one man told me he saw three huge black panthers walking the tree line next to the creek one late afternoon...he also told me something large jumped from an embankment slapping the hood of his pickup before disappearing in the dark...personally I've heard Monster locating whistles and calls...I haven't seen any Monsters, property is all private or leased I assume since the gates are all locked...

Years back a man from Shreveport, a writer for the now defunct Shreveport Journal...his goal was to find, follow and map the Civil War routes used in Desoto Parish...while doing his hobby crossing miles of forested, thickets and open fields he noticed that it appeared something was always following him...he could hear walking behind him, strange whistles and calls, odd stench where nothing was dead...as he continued his work one day he had a sighting of a Monster that was following him...this man, I can't think of his name, damn CRS, made a short documentary on the subject of BF and yes at one time I had a copy Bobby made me so I'm sure Bobby still has his copy...

He didn't mention where he had his sighting but I do know these trails he followed came within shouting distance of MC before going south through the old Screamerville community continuing on to Mansfield...his hobby of trail finding makes me think that maybe the screaming that was heard back in 1750's could have possibly been Monsters and not large fur balls as thought...continuous screams over a long period of time doesn't seem like cougars but there was an area east of where I grew up that folks reported black panthers screamed on a continuous basis...I'm not a cat man gathering my information on the Internet but maybe we have a reader or forum member that can weigh in on the subject of large cats, screams and territory...

Posted on Jun 20, 2012, 1:40 PM
from IP address 98.80.33.206

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home
Responses

Google

Web www.GCBRO.com