This forum is for open discussion on the generic handling by retailers (and others) of our Christmas Day celebration and preparation. Post your thoughts and feelings on Christmas here.

Return to Index  

Here's a story for you, Lynn

December 23 2002 at 4:48 PM
No score for this post
Kathy  (no login)
from IP address 68.105.97.144

and I'm still stomping my foot, so to speak.

I went into a local Postal Annex to do a late minute mailing. The store is beautifully decorated with Christmas themes and Christmas carols playing in the background.

When I finished the mailing business and as I got ready to leave, I wished everyone a "Merry Christmas". What did I receive in return? "Happy Holidays" - so I asked why, when someone wishes them a Merry Christmas they answer with the generic greeting. You know the answer, of course, they want to "include everyone" . I told the gal my feeling was that to respond to a specific "Christmas" greeting with a generic one was an exclusion. She insisted she didn't want to exclude or offend anyone, therefore would continue to use the generic. I told her she HAD offended me by not having the courtesy to respond to my greeting in the same vein. I mentioned that the only reason there is a celebration at this time of year is because of Christmas, to which she snorted at me. LOL Oh, well, I tried. Yep, she snorted. ROFL!!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on SpiritualityCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Feel free to post scanned copies of memos instructing employees to not use the phrase "Merry Christmas" in greeting customers and closing a "Christmas" sale!