Return to Index  

A few other contest entries, published on February 15, 2004

September 26 2004 at 2:04 PM

Marcus Hanke  (Login mhanke)

Response to And the results, announced on February 11, 2004 ...

As I already said, I have got only some of the total number of entries from UN. Among them, here are some I liked in particular:

Vadim from Ukraine, who won the second prize with his "Marine GMT Perpetual", sent in several other designs. The most radical one was the "Grand Cruise", using the unique "Sonata" hands:

Too late for the contest, nevertheless a very attractive design was the "Fram", commemorating the sailing vessel "Fram", which was built according to Norwegian polar explorer Fridtjof NANSEN. He used it during his 1893-96 polar expedition, when the ship froze in ice and drifted with the solid ice cap. Several years later, the FRAM was Roald Amundsen's base from which he started his journey to be the first man to reach the South Pole. The ship is now preserved near Oslo. Vadim suggested a white enamel dial with blue print. This design is one of my favourites, and I would like to see it realized.

Here is a very modernistic design by Bob Platek:

Even more futuristic is a design my Emmanuel Nardin, who scored third with his modern GMT Big Date. His GMT Perpetual, however, had a shifted big date display at 12, which would be impossible to accomplish without massive changes to the movement.

A design with some potential was entered by the contest winner, besides his winning draft:

The suggested design adds a world-time display to the GMT Perpetual. While outside the contest rules, this one seemingly sparked some interest at UN.

Finally, a very striking and luxurious design by G.I., which I personally liked a lot - in spite of the mutilated UN logo on the dial.

So you see the level of the entries was very high indeed, and I can imagine that the choice of the jury was not very easy. Once again thanks to UN for supporting the contest, and to all who entered such great designs!

Marcus

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page