Return to Index  

Development history of silicon hairsprings. Article by Dr. Ludwig Oechslin

January 30 2006 at 6:22 AM

Marcus Hanke  (Login mhanke)

Response to FAQ, reference and feature articles

With the rumours about silicon hairsprings to be used in watch movements becoming more dense and numerous, one should remember that these are a result of Ulysse Nardin's pioneering efforts to introduce silicon into high-end watchmaking. Only a short time after the first anchor wheels for the Freak's cal. UN-01 movement were made, the first trials to produce working hairsprings were executed already. Initiated and tested these were by the renown Musée International de l'Horologie in La Chaux-de-Fonds, leaded by Professor Dr. Ludwig Oechslin, who also invented the "Freak" and its Dual Direct Escapement.

Professor Oechslin kindly handed me over his reports on these first tests, permitting thePuristS to exclusively publish this testimony of high-tech horological research and development in English language.

Please click here to access Prof. Oechslin's report!

I want to express my sincerest thanks to Dr. Oechslin and his team at the MIH for this valuable resource, and hope you enjoy this interesting and enlightening read as much as I did!

Best regards,
Marcus

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page