Marcus Hanke  (Login mhanke)

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)

Full calendar, handwinding chronograph, ref. 536-22, cal. Valjoux 88

June 30 2003, 4:17 PM 

Alexandre Kossack was lucky to get his hands on this beautiful UN chronograph:

It is a UN ref. no. 536-22, 18 pink gold.

Produced it was in the very first years after Rolf Schnyder took over the company in 1983. It was a difficult time then for the small company, and Rolf Schnyder tried to build up a reputation of fine watchmaking as quickly as possible. Part of that strategy was the use of old and heavily refined chronograph movements in timeless designed watches. Besides the rare rattrapante chronos with Venus movements, there was also a very small series of this attractive full-calendar chronograph, using a Valjoux 88 movement:

According to Ulysse Nardin, less than 50 pieces were made in pink gold, the whole series not exceeding 100 pieces. Later, UN offered a similarly nice chronograph, equipped with a LĂ©mania movement with full calendar complication. This one could be found at some dealers still some years ago.

Marcus

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)

UN Ref.276-022 "London 1862"

July 8 2003, 3:24 AM 

Melvyn's (MTF) wonderful UN Ref.276-022 "London 1862". This watch was a limited edition of only 25 pieces. Case diameter is 39mm, the movement used is (presumably)a 13''' Unitas 6310, which was produced in the Fifties.

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)

1938 vintage UN, by Alex Bigatti

December 21 2003, 2:09 PM 

Alex Bigatti shows us this wonderful old Ulysse Nardin and wrote us:

"This Ulysse Nardin was purchased by my grandfather 1n 1938 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Case is 18K gold. Originally the face was black (I still have it), and he changed it for a white one at one point. He also changed the leather band for a 18K bracelet.
Besides the pictures of the watch, I've enclosed pictures of the Certificat d'origine, the series number: 392356, and even the purchase receipt. I'll appreciate if anybody could let me know name or model.
Note the unusual numbers displayed on the face."

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)

UN observatory competition chronometer, w. Peseux cal. 260, by SteveG

June 6 2004, 3:57 PM 

30mm diameter (the maximum allowed for "wristwatch" movements), one of about 3700 such movements supplied to various manufacturers by Peseux from the late 1940s through the late 1960s. The split, bimetallic balance and blue-steel hairspring were probably fabricated by (or uniquely for) UN:

Respond to this message   

Marcus Hanke
(Login mhanke)

UN deck watch chronometer

December 20 2004, 4:41 PM 

Ulysse Nardin deck watch, produced around 1940.

Here are some helpful comments from Suitbert Walter:

"If I'm recalling correctly about 1200 pieces werde made of this chronometer and there are some differences to mention:
-there is a small second version, which is apparently rarer than the shown sweep center seconds version
-there are two case styles, steel and silver - usually the silver case doesn't have a chrystal (the one pictured by you was later modified IMO)and the steel case mostly has a chrystal. For the silver case, non chrystal version there is a thick, large chrystal in the brass "over case".
-originally they usually don't have a "bow" as the one in your picture, but holes for attaching it. As the watch usually remained in the box the bow was obsolete.
-some earlier versions were equipped with cap jewels for the pallet as well, later ones even without the escape wheel cap jewels.
-the one in your picture has a Guillaume balance wheel, some few earlier ones had an ordinary bimettallic (brass/steel) balance wheel.

As a side note, the well known russian deck watches (differently signed, Kirowa, Poljot..IIRC)are a direct and decent copy of this 22 lignes movement. But I'm not sure if this perhaps was a licensed copy."

Marcus

This message has been edited by mhanke on Dec 23, 2004 5:24 AM

Respond to this message   

O.E.
(Login O.E.)

Chronograph from the 50s .............

July 24 2005, 3:24 AM 

........... with greetings from Vienna

Kind regards, O.E.

Respond to this message   
marietta
(Login canalgal)

can anyone ID this UN?

February 26 2009, 2:30 PM 

My husband passed away many years ago, he left me a UN watch.. we've had the watch at least it 30 years..I'm not able to ID its year or model..I went to two jewelers in my area; one wanted to keep the watch for an hour and the other Jeweler didn't have the proper tool to remove the rear...

I don't have a photobucket account but if you E mail me I can send you photos..The watch is round with a plain black face. The hours 12-3-6-9 are gold numerals and 1-2-4-5-7-8-10-11 are gold dots. The hour, minute and second hards are gold. The 4 arms that connect the watch to the band are a fancy shape like a good luck horn The rear says 14k APEX......

Please drop me a line at
CanalGal@optonline.net
Thank you
Marietta/ NY

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
ThePuristS.com Home Page