Return to Index  

paints

February 27 2007 at 10:09 AM
John Wojak  (no login)
from IP address 38.99.217.218

Response to I am returning to figure painting and have a question about appropriate oil colors

I have just started painting larger figures (90mm, 120mm) after many years of planes and armor, and believe it or not, what got me into them is that my son collects Citadel/Games Workshop Lord of the Rings figures (which I guess are about 1/48 scale), and I have gotten to enjoy painting them with him and have developed a lot of new painting skills that way. Which of course led to my wanting to try some larger figures, like Warriors or Verlinden knights, etc. But enough rambling, my point is that my figure painting with my son on his Games Workshop figures was done with Games Workshop/Citadel acrylics, which are really terrific once you get past the names (snot green, bleached bone, vomit brown, rotting flesh, etc.). They have an excellent range of metallics covering bronze, tin, brass, several brightnesses of gold and three different silver colors which can be layered to create impressive ranges of wear, weathering and hilights on armor, etc. Plus, they have a range about 5 flesh tones for shadow and hilighting, and special acrylic inks in many colors including chestnut, brown and dark flesh which make great detail pin washes. I have used them on some large figures and been very happy with the results.

Respond to this message   
Responses

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server.

In addition, Figuratively Speaking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

free counters