<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How good are Italeri's 1/32 napoleonic figure box sets?

January 20 2008 at 10:17 PM
Peter  (no login)
from IP address 75.66.164.38

The figures they include on their armor are just awful. Are these any better? How would they compare to say Accurate figures in 54mm plastic? Are they more like Marx/Imex?

Looking to cut my teeth into this genre w/o going broke. Was looking for Barzso figures of this period but apparently they don't make them or are not currently available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
david nickels
(Login djnick66)

Not very good

January 22 2008, 6:01 AM 

I'm not a fan of most soft plastic figures, including Accurate Miniatures. Airfix has/had some of the best soft plastic Napoleonics. They are still available via Classic Toy Soldiers as recasts.

The Italeri ones are typical for all of their newer 1/32 figures in that the details are very coarse and exaggerated. The poses are not real fluid either, and in some cases, downright poor or awkward. Im not sure if any of these come in the newish gluable plastic Italeri mentions for some of their sets. The French Artillery horse team could benefit from gluable plastic, as a few parts need fixing and some re-positioning would be really helpful for the crew and horses (you get like 6 of the same horse). Its hard to get the large mold seams off the rubbery plastic too.

Respond to this message   
Peter
(no login)

Thanks David, are they comparable to Imex?

January 22 2008, 8:41 AM 

Are you comparing them to say, DML gen2 figgies?

I'd use them for gaming with my two sons, they don't need to be museum quality but would like a modicum of quality. Would also use them to introduce my sons to figure painting.

Something along the lines of Imex-like quality would do, but not less. Are they comparable to Imex?

Respond to this message   
david nickels
(Login djnick66)

Hard to say

January 23 2008, 2:25 PM 

Comparing them to the Airfix soft plastic figures, they suck. The Airfix 1/32 Napoleonics are ok, these are pretty crude.

I'd say go buy a set but some are like $30 a box...

I don't like Imex figures a lot but some are ok. I'd compare teh Italeri ones to the old Esci ones from the 80s that are also poor. Or Revell Germany's 1/32 German Assault Engineer soft plastic set.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Please note a few points of etiquette. First, would all contributors please use their real name and/or their actual e-mail address. All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments. These posts will promptly be removed from the server.

In addition, Figuratively Speaking is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

free counters