Return to Index  

KMET Los Angeles. Dr. Demento was the the bomb!

April 11 2012 at 10:18 PM

Gunner Mike  (Login witous)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 71.110.137.170

Response to Well, It is mid week. Time for a cheer me up.........

I started listening to Dr. Demento in 1971. Years later my first college coaching job took me up to Cal Poly SLO. I kept hearing about this very strange guy who lived in the dorms. He went through about 4 roommates that year and finally they let him have the room to himself.

The next year another coach tells me about this guy that is doing song parodies at a club downtown. So we go and it's the same guy from the dorms who everyone called Weird Al. This is when Weird Al was maybe a Junior and he starts sending the tapes down to Dr. Demento. I can remember sitting around on Sunday night listening to the show with my wife and friends. KMET must have boosted their signal at night because it came in pretty clear but not during the day.

Thanks Steve for posting this. It brought back some good memories.

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

Respond to this message   
Responses

To post a new message, simply press the "Post An Article" button. If you are posting a message or replying for the first time you will need to create a Network 54 login and regsiter for the Forum.

To read a message, click on that message in the list. You will see the message and the following thread, and then have the choice of reading the remaining messages or replying to the original message.

free counters