<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The discussion below...

February 24 2012 at 5:45 PM
  (Login Williamshuey)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 96.234.235.119

on "Blue Ray" collections leads me to a question. Simply, is "Blue Ray" worth it??

I've got a nice tax return coming in this year and have been wondering.

Bill Shuey

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login ResinPrince)
HyperScale Forums

Bill I think they are

February 24 2012, 5:54 PM 

I have one and the blue ray movies while more expensive are fantastic. You can play the non BR discs too and they look better. If you like Sci Fi get a Blue Ray player and Avatar. It is a real treat to the eyes on one.

Mike

Respond to this message   
Brendan McGovern
(Login bibliodreck)
HyperScale Forums

They are a major step up from DVD

February 24 2012, 6:17 PM 

If the transfer is done well, the sharpness, color and overall presentation is much better than DVD, in my opinion. And your standard DVDs will look better too when played through an HDMI input. Go to www.dvdbeaver.com and look at some of the comparisons they do between DVD and Blu Ray. There are also sites besides that one that will have screen captures so you can see how the image will look. Sometimes the studios really botch their hi-def transfers and the end result is terrible (Fox's Patton Blu Ray is a good example).

Best wishes,
Brendan

Respond to this message   
Brent Gair
(Login KBGair)
HyperScale Forums

The Math

February 24 2012, 7:07 PM 

I start by telling people about the mathematics. There are many factors involved in image quality but I like to start with the math because it has a clearly definable quality.

The first lesson is: 1080 x 1920 = 2,073,600. That's number of pixels available in the frame of a Blu-ray image (BTW, note the spelling of "Blu-ray"...a hyphenated word, capital "B", small "r"). A Blu-ray may not use every single pixel since some material may have different shapes (called aspect ratios) such as old movies which may have bars at the side or very widescreen movies that may have narrow bars at the top and bottom.

But you are starting off with over two million pixels to play with.

On the other hand DVD offers a maximum of 345,000 pixels in an image frame. And that number assumes maximum usage of an "anamorphic" DVD viewed on a widescreen TV.

The often stated rule of thumb is this: Blu-ray has 6 times the definition of DVD.

Now, to the more SUBJECTIVE sense of image quality, I admit that many people don't observe the quality improvement on smaller TV sets. It's the same as looking at a picture from a digital camera. On a small display, the image from a 12 megapixel camera may not look much better than the image from a 2 megapixel camera. With home video, if you are watching on a 32" TV you may not be aware of the quality difference of Blu-ray. If you are watching on a 60" TV, the difference can be striking.

It's extremely important to realize that your Blu-ray player will play all of your DVDs! This is not a case of "either/or". You are not forced to give up one in order to have the other. If you buy a Blu-ray player, there is no need to replace any of your DVDs. Theoretically, one could by a Blu-ray player and never buy a Blu-ray disc.

PLAYER COST: No longer a factor. When BD players came on the market, they were about $1000.00. Now, they are under $100.00. Careful shopping can often get a brand name BD player for $79.99. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD75 that would probably cost about eighty bucks in the U.S..

DISC COST: Becoming less of a factor. Here in Canada, I was at Best Buy this morning and saw Blu-rays of THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN and A BRIDGE TOO FAR for $7.99 each. This week amazon.com has been selling the recent Blu-ray of TORA! TORA! TORA! for $11.99. Most of the really expensive BDs are recent theatrical releases. However, if you like older catalogue titles (as I do) they are often quite reasonable.

MISCELLANEOUS BENEFITS: if you ever get a good sound system, Blu-ray Discs usually (not always but usually) offer high definition sound in the form of uncompressed sound or lossless compression. Also Blu-rays generally offer better menu navigation which allows you to peruse the menu without stopping the movie.

IF I HAD ONE PIECE OF ADVICE: Buy the Blu-ray player. They are cheap. Buy a couple of high quality Blu-ray discs. If you find you don't enjoy the benefits of Blu-ray Discs, then you can use it as a DVD player. The price difference between a decent BD player and a decent DVD player is about $10.00. If Blu-ray dissappoints you, it's a lesson that only cost you ten extra bucks for the player (compared to a DVD only player) and few bucks for a couple of discs.

This message has been edited by KBGair from IP address 24.77.218.7 on Feb 24, 2012 7:09 PM

Respond to this message   
George Campbell
(Login blueangelmodeler)
HyperScale Forums

Brent -- Thanks for this in-depth info. Georgen/t

February 24 2012, 7:30 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login steven9)
HyperScale Forums

Thanks Brent, Great information..........

February 24 2012, 8:52 PM 

We only go to the big screen for movies. Question, don't the cables cost a zillion dollars?

Steve

Respond to this message   
Brent Gair
(Login KBGair)
HyperScale Forums

Cables...Much Like The Players

February 24 2012, 9:14 PM 

Many years ago (seven?) I bought an upconverting DVD player that required a DVI cable which is the close cousin of the current HDMI cable. That cable cost $129.00!!.

Today, at a respected online dealer (like monoprice) a 6 foot long full spec HDMI cable meeting current standards will run you about $4.00!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

A couple of years ago, I was at a discount store and saw a 12ft long HDMI cable for about $12.00. I had absolutely NO use for it at the time but it was a good deal so I bought it for "future consideration". Last year, I bought a new 60" TV which had all of the connections on the extreme left hand side of the set...but my home theater receiver was on the extreme right hand side of the set. So I unwrapped my bargain store HDMI cable and used it to connect my receiver and TV set. I've been using it for 13 months now and it has worked flawlessly.

Respond to this message   

(Login steven9)
HyperScale Forums

Thank you again. n/t

February 24 2012, 9:23 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login N9JOY)
HyperScale Forums

You've convinced me!

February 25 2012, 1:19 AM 

I'll probably get off dead center and buy a Blu-ray player as soon as I get this year's tax refund.

Jim

Retirement is so great, I don't know why I didn't start 20 years ago.

Respond to this message   
Brent Gair
(Login KBGair)
HyperScale Forums

$100.00 Starter Kit

February 24 2012, 9:45 PM 

So let's assume you already have an HDTV (that's another thread if you don't).

What's it going to cost you to check out Blu-ray? I did a search for low prices and figured this is a starter kit you can put together for UNDER $100.00 (not including shipping or taxes).

Blu-ray player: The plain, simple one I use is a Panasonic DMP-BD75. Cheapest price was $65.62 reported at amazon.

6ft HDMI cable: $3.50 at monoprice.

Blu-ray Discs:

TORA! TORA! TORA! on sale at amazon for $11.99 (great price may not last). Read this review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tora-Tora-Tora-Blu-ray/26653/#Review

THE SOUND OF MUSIC (three disc set) at amazon for $17.99. Read this review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3078/soundofmusic.html

So what if you buy all this and you think Blu-ray isn't worth it? You've still got a great Blu-ray player and a couple of great movies. If you're not happy with BD, you just use the machine for playing DVDs. And a Blu-ray player with an HDMI cable will upconvert your old DVDs to make them look better than ever.

It's a very low risk proposition.

This message has been edited by KBGair from IP address 24.77.218.7 on Feb 24, 2012 9:45 PM

Respond to this message   

(Login steven9)
HyperScale Forums

Ahh! your killing me Brent. Such a deal!!! Oh, rent due in...

February 24 2012, 10:04 PM 

about a week. You know I am pre-spending my commission check.

Steve

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login seafirexv)
HyperScale Forums

They're nice, I bought a Sony with the Playstation bundled

February 25 2012, 2:47 AM 

with it last year, For $798, I thought a 40 inch Sony and PlayStation 2 was a pretty decent buy....and with Blue Ray, the quality is so much better, however, I woudn't have gone out of my way had the PS 2 not had the Blu-Ray.

DVDs are nice enough for me, though I must confess, the Blu Ray is better quality....

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The discussion below...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

To post a new message, simply press the "Post An Article" button. If you are posting a message or replying for the first time you will need to create a Network 54 login and regsiter for the Forum.

To read a message, click on that message in the list. You will see the message and the following thread, and then have the choice of reading the remaining messages or replying to the original message.

free counters